3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Deleting Records from a Partial Replica (Acc97 SR2)

I am trying to delete a record from a table in a partial replica but this error message appears:

"The attempt to set a column in a partial replica violated a rule governing partial replicas. (Error 3571)"

Does this message make sense to anyone?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Deleting Records from a Partial Replica (Acc97 SR2)

I suspect that the record you're trying to delete relates to records in other replicas and so you're being prevented from removing it.
    Charlotte

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That makes sense but it would be a whole lot easier if message just said what you said! I tried searching for Error 3571 on the MS Knowledge base and surprise, surprise ... not a cracker!

Do you know of any other conditions that might cause this msg? I am investigating a few oddities in partial replicas between several regional offices so any insight is helpful.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Can you clarify what you mean by a partial replica? In Access97 I was under the impression that you couldn't replicate anything other than an entire table.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A partial replica is a subset of the data, Wendell, rather than the full database. All the objects are replicated, but not all the data is passed to the partial replica.
    Charlotte

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I've never actually worked with partial replicas, so I can't be of any real help. I believe you can still get the Jet 3.5 Replication White Paper from Microsoft's download center, so if you don't already have it, I'd start there. My suspcion is that tables containing key records relating to parts of the data not included in the partial replica would not allow deletion.
    Charlotte

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Ah - the brain cells are fried tonight. I thought partial replicas were introduced with Jet 4.0 and what not. But I just took a look at the white paper you mentioned, and it describes them in some detail. One possibility is some sort of referential integrity problem - the white paper does mention that as a possible source of trouble. There are also a number of other Knowledge Base articles that mention Partial Replicas for Access 97 - at least 25 based on the search I did.
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Sometime ago I downloaded an Access 97 Partial Replica Wizard Addin from the Microsoft download website. Once loaded it appears under the Tools/Add-ins menu. It will ask for the name of the new partial replicated db, then which table is to be used as the main source for extracting a subset of records, then which field in that table, what criteria, and finally which related tables also apply to that same criteria.

The whole process itself seems to work just fine. It was the obscure wording in the error message that had me stumped when working with one of the replicas.