2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

When the inbox gets full (Outlook 2000 Corporate)

We have recently been put under the rules of the NMCI which limit the amount of disk space our Outlook is allowed to occupy. We have a limit of 50MB on our Outlook space. This covers email, Calendar, everything. Once we exceed the 50 MB limit, email will still be received and we can read it but we cannot send or create anything.

For most people here, email is the issue. For many, 50 MB is no real problem but for a few who regularly receive quantities of email with large attachments, it is a problem.

One solution is to set a rule that moves messages into a personal folder. The space on these is not regulated under NMCI. Works fine if you are always at work.

When on travel, we can check our email thru Outlook Web Access. Unfortunately, this does not allow us to see the personal folders.

So, I think what we need is a way to automatically move the oldest messages from Inbox to a personal folder as the Inbox becomes full. Maybe 10MB at a time or something. That way, the traveler would always have access to the latest mail but it would never completely fill. Any ideas.

-----paul-----

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: When the inbox gets full (Outlook 2000 Corporate)

My company has similar limitations. I sometimes use a Rule that moves all my default Inbox stuff to "~Inbox", which is a Folder in my PST. However ANY Rule that is created to move Items from the Inbox to the PST is a Client side Rule and therefore works only when OL is left up and the machine turned on during your absence.

So the first thing to consider is that if the user machine is off or OL not running, all mail recieved during that time will show in OWA because the client side Rule can't work.

If that's not going to work you can leave the machine on and OL running , and run code that in effect does something like:
    When a new message is recieved (Application_NewMail() Event) review the send date of all default Inbox messages; move Items which are x days before than System date to specified PST Folder.

(The date components in OL 2000 Rules don't seem to have an "x days before today" option.)

Two other notes about staying under limitations; archiving your old calendar items can you save you a lot of server side space, and don't use journaling unless it's mission-critical for you.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

It's really the attachments that get you. A multi-page email by itself might take less than 1k. To get the most bang for the buck you should focus on attachments, or email with their attachments.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Yep, and you can create a client side Rule which will move the biggies to your PST. That leaves the problem that an OWA user may miss a critical item with a large att.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: When the inbox gets full (Outlook 2000 Corpora

Yeah, well, the other issue is confusion when attachments and messages are separated. You would be amazed how many folks name their files drawing1.jpg.