Lounger
    Thanks

Cursor File Missing (XP/SP-1)

My cursor suddenly changed from black to white, so I checked Control Panel>Mouse>Pointers and received messages like this for 14 files: C:WINDOWScursorarrow_rl.cur missing or corrupt. I hunted around in Search Files and found a very long list of cursor files under C:WINDOWSLastGoodCursors. Can someone tell me how to get these cursor files back where they should be so I can change my cursor again? The last thing I had been doing was following Fred Langa's instructions for cleaning out unnecessary files. Maybe I cleaned too much?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Cursor File Missing (XP/SP-1)

If you have NOT emptied the Recycle bin they will still be there. Other than that you may need to do a "repair", by going to your Windows CD and run the setup, but make sure that you follow the Repair steps.

You NOW know why I think that NO OS file is to be removed, because you will NEVER know when you may want that file(s). One will NOT gain any benefit by removing any of the OS files but disk space. If one is hurting for disk space it is NOW time for another hard drive. There is NO maybe, you did clean out to much.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

I consider myself properly chastised! But my punishment is not over yet. The Recycle bin is empty. I didn't realize I was removing OS files. I was just trying to fix a faulty Internet web site connection following a web site person's instructions. Turned out that wasn't the problem at all. I have a 60-gig hard drive, so space is not a problem. My laptop is an IBM preloaded with Windows XP. I tried restoring to a day before I did the clearing of files, but that didn't help.

I tried to figure out if I could do a "repair" as you mention, but I'm not finding the option for it. Just an option for restoring the operating system. I've done this before, so I know it's a major, time-consuming project. If I can avoid that, I'd rather. On the other hand, I've been using this computer constantly for nearly a year, it crashes often especially while in Outlook (even before I did that file-clearing) and it could be time.

Another question about the "repair" idea if I can locate it: Will it show me what needs repair, or do I have to do it piecemeal as I discover things that don't work? Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Since you have a "Restore" type of OS CD's, I would call your OEM for this help. I know that they will want to do a Restore which will wipe out every thing. But Windows XP by default when it finds a existing XP OS it will ask to do a "Repair", which will only copy the missing and/or corrupt files. Some OEM's have removed this from their CD's.

I thought that a IBM was self-healing, based on the ad's I see for their products.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.