New Lounger
    Thanks

freeze worksheet

Could somebody please explain how to freeze a worksheet on a specific group of cells ,so only the cells that are visible on the screen can be seen pernamently.

Thanks in advance
    Graham

Thanks

Re: freeze worksheet

My understanding is that you can freeze in a horizontal or vertical axis only.
    e.g. You have data along the top of the worksheet. Select the row below it, then Window | Freeze Panes. The vertical scroll bar will then only scroll the rows below and including the selected row.
    Alternatively, selecting a column freezes the columns to the left of the selected column.
    I have not found a method of combining both axis.

Window | Split, on the other hand, adds another scroll bar to what would have been the 'frozen' columns/rows.

Is that what you are asking?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

It depends on exactly what you are trying to accomplish, and how determined you want to be to keep the user from undoing what you do.

One thing you could do would be to go to Tools/Options and uncheck the Horizontal and Vertical scroll bars on the View tab. However, you would probably have to write some code to keep the user from turning those back on, and there are some other ways to move around. There are also some other problems. If the workbook is opened on a system with a different display size and/or resolution, then either more or less of the sheet will be seen.

You can put everything you don't want the user to see on another sheet or sheets, and then hide those sheets. If you use some VBA code to set the sheet's visible property to xlVeryHidden, then the sheet will not display in the unhide menu and the user would have to know the sheet name and use VBA code to unhide it.

You can change the font color in the cells you don't want seen to a white font on a white background (or any other color). However, that will still let the user see what is in a cell in the formula bar if he selects the cell and the formula bar is displayed.
    Legare Coleman

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Freezing panes in both axes is fairly simple. Just select the cell one row below and one column to the right of where you want the freeze, then click on Window/Freeze Panes. For example, if you select cell C2 and the do Windows/Freeze Panes, then columns A & B and Rows 1 & 2 will be frozen.

However, the way I read the question, I don't think this is what the person had in mind. It sounded more like he was trying to keep users from seeing other areas of the sheet, and Freeze Panes will not do that since you must leave one row and one column on the display unforzen.
    Legare Coleman

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can freeze both columns and rows, e.g. goto say G21, and select freeze panes. Then all columns to thel eft of G are frozen and all rows above 21 are also frozen. However i think your solution might be to hide all rows and columns outside the area you want viewed. You could then protect the sheet (with a password) so that they cannot be unhidden.

Andrew C

Thanks

Thanks, Legare and Andrew.
    Sometimes the solution is the most obvious - I've never needed to freeze both, so it never occurred to me to try it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much for all replys Andrews help
    regarding hiding cells did the trick.
    Thanks
    Graham