3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE 6 SP1: Want Woody's Info (IE 6.0, Win98, Outlook 2000 SR-1)

I am trying to find Woody's info on whether or not it is safe to install the IE 6.0 SP1. I finally managed to archive all my Outlook messages, but don't know how to retrieve them! I couldn't find any way to ask Woody a question on my new bulletins.
    Does anyone know if I can selectively view and/or bring back archived items from Outlook? Or, how I can do a search on www.woodyswatch.com to find an article on it?
    (Perhaps I should explain that I keep all incoming and outgoing messages in alphabetized folders in Outlook. This can slow down Outlook after a while, so I make sure it is 'cleaned up' consistently)

Thank you,
    Julia

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: IE 6 SP1: Want Woody's Info (IE 6.0, Win98, Outlook 2000 SR-1)

Julia,
    First - installing IE 6.0 Sp-1. I'd say yes go ahead. There have been some reports of people having problems with graphics files not displaying. But I think that happens with 6.0 also. You may get the 'if it is not broken....' line from others. However, with the volume of securty patches in IE even if you are not aware of them you may be having problems. Second - If you used the stand Outlook archiving & saved the e-mails in a .pst file, you should be able to go to File | Open personal data file. Then navigate to the .pst file you wish to view. That should allow you to do whatever you wish to the e-mail in the archive file.

hth,
    Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Julia--
    It seems like as Joe says the consensus is while problems have come up, in raw numbers you're best advised to go to SP1. . The lists of bugs fixed are long: Bugs fixed IE6SP1.

Also don't forget the lounge as a good search resource with a number of great tips. Search Outlook with words like "retrive" and "archive" and you can find several helpful threads. This thread and retrive from archive are the first two I came to--probably many more.

To retrieve archived items from Outlook after a crash/reinstallation, you have three choices from the PST file 1) Import the archived items into the file in which they were created. 2) Create a new Personal Folders file and import the archives into it. 3) File>Pointer to Open>Select Personal Folders File (.pst) to show the Open Personal Folders dialogue box, and in the box navigate to the file>select>click OK.

If you keep all Outlook items related one category in a separate archive, retrieval is easier. When you finish working on that project, you can move them to individual folders and then archive the folders.

A tip on retrieving from Bill Dyzsel who writes the Outlook for Dummies book is:

If you remember the name and location of the archive file (no small feat, since Outlook's default settings send your archived items to a pretty obscure location that changes from one Windows version to another), choose File --> Open --> Outlook Data File, then open your Folder list and click on the archive file in the list.

Here's one trick for finding a deeply buried archive file.

Open the Archive dialog box (by choosing File --> Archive).
    Click the archive file name once.
    Press Tab then Shift + Tab to select the full path name.
    Press Control + C to copy the full pathname.
    Choose File --> Open --> Outlook Data File and paste the path name into the File Name line.

The Outlook AutoArchive process can move your messages automatically. Just choose Tools --> Options --> Other --> AutoArchive and tell Outlook how, when, and where you want autoarchiving to happen. Outlook 2002 has a button in the AutoArchive dialog box that says "Apply these settings to all folders now" that makes all archived items go to the same place. Whatever filename you enter in the Archive or AutoArchive dialog box becomes the location to which your items get archived. Archive files end with the extension .PST.

I'm not sure if you can search WOPR for an answer like this; it does have a "Help Desk," but I think for the books and items related to the site.

SMBP

Thanks

Just to avoid confusion (or to cause confusion, depending on how you look at it), we also have separate boards for Outlook Express (the free mail client that comes with Internet Explorer) and Outlook (the bundled mail/contacts/to do/etc. program that comes with Office). Feel free to follow up on the most appropriate board with your e-mail questions if the above responses aren't on point.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Outlook 2000 SR1 Retrieval

Thank you, SMBP,
    After reading your post, I am a little confused, but assume that I will recognize what is happening as I move thru the process of retrieval. I have approximately 42 personal folders under my Inbox folder. Hopefully, from what you are saying, when I archived, it created the same folders and I can pull them up separately. As I recall, writing this, I think I did have to pick out each folder to archive. That would be great!
    Thanks again,
    Julia