New Lounger
    Thanks

one-click access to templates? (Office XP)

It takes effort to be properly lazy...Under Office 97, clicking "New" under the "File" menu immediately got me the templates dialog box. Now the same thing opens the task pane, in which I then have to click "General Templates". I don't like keeping the pane open all the time because it takes up real estate on my monitor. Is there a command that opens the templates dialog box directly (like the equivalent of clicking "General Templates" in the pane), or do I have to create a macro to do it?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: one-click access to templates? (Office XP)

In Word, from Tools menu choose "Customize..." and click Command button. Then from File category choose New - (triangle) command (the third one) and drag and drop it into your File menu next to existed New... command. Click Close button. Now you can open your New dialog choosing File | New | Other... - it is the same as "General Templates".

New Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, thanks, I feel dumb. I'd gone with one of the other "further options" New commands. Next question--why won't it let me modify the button image? (It did with the other option.)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can't change the button face because it is not a standar toolbar button but a split popup button (with a popup list).