Lounger
    Thanks

Can you embed a GIF to a HTM file? (2000)

I just started to tinker with web pages and have a question. I want to create an HTM file with a couple of GIF's in it. It works OK but requires the GIF's to be in the same directory as the HTM file. Is there a way to make the HTM file completely self contained, so I can send just the one (HTM) file, and delete the GIF's?

Thanks,
    Randy

Thanks

Re: Can you embed a GIF to a HTM file? (2000)

I think the simple answer is no, unless the person viewing has that image already on their pc or you link to it on the web.
    It's a bit like fonts - you write your HTML to display in Times Roman, for example - you assume they already have that font installed locally but if the end viewer doesn't have that font installed, they just aren't going to see what you want them to see.

Does it need to be html? - why not send them a pdf.....

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Leif - can an animated gif be embedded to a pdf file? Do know if any inexpensive pdf software - Adobe costs an arm and a leg!

Randy

Thanks

I am not aware of any method of embedding animations within a .pdf - check out Adobe.

There are alternatives to Acrobat - have a search through the Software forum - I'm sure someone has mentioned something there in the past.

What is it exactly you are trying to achieve? - I'm beginning to think this thread doesn't belong under FrontPage.

Thanks

You could use a zip utility to create a zip archive. When unzipped, your files will be there individually and the page should display properly.

You could use IE's Save As Web Archive feature. When opened, IE will disassemble the HTML and GIF files into a temp folder and display it as it looked originally.