Star Lounger
    Thanks

Some index entries bold or italic (XP/2002)

I'm doing my first index in Word. I've read all the help and all seems to be working as it should, except....some entries end up in the index with the attributes of the first occurrence of the text in the document (bold or italic). I want them to be normal text, especially when the word occurs more than once.

Since the XE markup entry seems to have the attributes of the text, I've tried changing that, but it doesn't seem to have any effect, even though help implies that it should. Any ideas?

Also, is there any way to remove all index entries at one stroke? I'll want to start over when I reuse this document as a base for a new manual.
    Thanks - - - Sher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Some index entries bold or italic (XP/2002)

Select the index and type Ctrl+Space to remove character formatting.

About your last question: open the Replace dialog (Edit/Replace... or Ctrl+H.) Enter <font face="Georgia">"^d XE"</font face=georgia> (without the quotes) into the Find What box, and leave Replace With empty, then click Replace All.

(^d lets you search for a field code; XE, as you know, is the field code for an index entry)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Some index entries bold or italic (XP/2002)

Hans,

Ironically, I had hit on the idea of clearing formatting and was in the process of testing it when I got your reply to my post. It works! Whew.....

Thanks so much for the info about ^d. That eases my mind and will save me a lot of time, I know.

As always, you Loungers are the best!
    Thanks - - - Sher