Lounger
    Thanks

GPF on every error (A97)

Every time I get an error in my code I get an "illegal operation". Normally, it either says that Access caused a general protection fault in module <unknown> or vba332.dll. After that, I normally have to recreate the form that the code blew up on. It's not very deep code causing the error. For example, I can just misspell the name of a form and issue a docmd.openform command and when I try to get out of the resulting module window, Access crashes. I have reapplied SR2 and reinstalled Office. I have also done a compact and a repair on both the frontend and the backend. Now I'm at my wit's end. Any ideas?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: GPF on every error (A97)

A couple of possibilities to try:
    <UL><LI>Import everything into a new empty database and see if things improve.
    <LI>Download the standalone compact and repair program from the MS web site and see if it stabilizes things.
    <LI>Get the latest version of the Jet 3.51 engine - it think it may be SP6, but check and get whatever it is.[/list]It sounds like error handling is going astray - do you get this same behavior on another database?
    Wendell

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Wendell, I'll give those a try. I tried to recreate the error in a different db but couldn't. The thing is, this db could have been chewed up to begin with. I didn't develop it, I've just been fixing it.
    ----------------------SoapBox
    We all know what a pain it is to try and fix something created by someone who knows very little about Access and nothing about VB. Not that there's anything wrong with either of those. We all have to start somewhere, right?
    ------------------------End SoapBox

Anyhoo, I may end up just re-doing the whole thing since I've practically had to do that anyway.

Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the stand-alone compact and repair vs. the built-in one?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

>> Just out of curiosity, what is the difference between the stand-alone compact and repair vs. the built-in one?

From the documentation that comes with Jetcomp.exe:
    <hr>Although it is possible to use the Microsoft Access Compact utility (i.e. Tools/Database Utilities/Compact Database) or the CompactDatabase method with Microsoft Jet database engine 3.x and 4.x, Jetcomp.exe may be able to recover some databases that these utilities could not. This is because the Microsoft Access Compact utility and the CompactDatabase method attempt to open and close a database before attempting to compact it. In certain cases where these utilities may not be able to reopen the database, Compact will be unable to proceed, preventing recovery of the database. Jetcomp.exe does not attempt to open and close the database before compacting, and may be able to recover some databases that the Microsoft Access compact utility and the CompactDatabase method could not.<hr>