Star Lounger
    Thanks

Printer that pipes to Wordpad? (XP Pro SP1)

I need to get small chunks of information from a black-box application to a separate open window with a minimum of user involvement (one or two button pushes). Secondary goals are minimizing development time and cost.

The application will record and replay keystroke macros for application actions, but not OS commands. I could probably get a batch file (or script) into the application's menu structure and invoke it from a macro, but I have hoping for something easier for me. The app will print the desired data as a report.

One thought would be a "printer" that pipes to Wordpad or notepad (and leaves it open) rather than printing or saving information to a file. I have not been able to find such a thing.

I would appreciate a pointer to such a utility or an alternative idea.

Thanks,

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Printer that pipes to Wordpad? (XP Pro SP1)

Look into the use of "Print to file" in the Help and support.

I found the following "How to Print Device Manager Contents to a Text File" in the KB area of Help and support.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printer that pipes to Wordpad? (XP Pro SP1)

Thanks Dave, but I must not have been clear. I can print to a file. I can then open that file in notepad/wordpad (or the like) and view it. I can then delete the file.

I am hoping for something that lets me skip the extra steps and get the print output into an active notepad program directly without having to open a print file. This would be something like the pseudo printer installed for Adobe's Acrobat Distiller. If you "print" to this pseudo printer, Adobe Acrobat opens a window showing the result -- no extra steps.