New Lounger
    Thanks

Paper selection problem (Word 2002 SP-1; XP)

I've suddenly started having a peculiar problem in Word. Whenever I open a document, I find that the print options have been set to print from "Default Tray (Tray 1 (Manual))"--if I forget to go into "Page Setup" and change the options, I'll get an out-of-paper light on my printer (an NEC Superscript 1400) as it waits for me to hand-feed it. What I want, of course, is for the printer to "automatically select" the paper tray it's using. I've gone into my normal.dot and changed the setting, so new documents are OK, but every time I open an old document , I''ve got to remember to change this setting before printing. If it's relevant, I note that in the "print source" part of the page dialog box, there's an entry for "automatically select," and one for "Auto Select". Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Paper selection problem (Word 2002 SP-1; XP)

Is it a question of opening the printer's properties in Control Panel and checking that the tray you want is set as the default there too?

Ian

New Lounger
    Thanks

I checked in Control Panel, and the problem isn't there--the defaults in Control Panel are set properly, and I notice that no other Office Apps (Excel, etc.) have this problem--just Word. Thanks for the suggestion anyway.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Because you've been able to correct it with new documents by changing normal.dot, it sounds like the documents were created with a different page setup (which should, of course, override any default). You might check to see if you have any add-ins or com add-ins that are making a difference (see the steps in <post#=197827>post 197827</post#>.

I would suggest checking for the latest driver, but I would think that that would affect other applications, also. Still, you might make sure you have the latest driver.

If this is behavior that only recently started, you could check by opening a document that you created say, last week, & see if there's a difference from a document you created 6 months ago.

Hope this helps.