Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Backup Again (XPP SP-3)

Left the Power Quests Drive Image thread even though it was about backups because this is a slightly different view of backups and doesn
    H Lewton

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Backup Again (XPP SP-3)

There is no software { to my knowledge } that will allow an OS back up to an external Hard Drive without a Motherboard { and chipset } that has a BIOS that will allow such a feat. My understanding is that there are some new Motherboards that have this available but I have not used one nor know of anybody that has. I myself would love to see this happen, and when it does I will be jumping all over that technology. There was some talk of a USB drivers installed in such away that DOS would use it to backup an OS. But I am not sure how that works, if it works at all.
    If someone knows something I don't, please let me know. I would love to be wrong.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Maxtor's 5000DV external hard drive--120GB with a dual FireWire/USB 2.0 interface--is fast, vast, and built to last, but the drive's unique OneTouch backup feature is what intrigued us. Press a button on the front of the 5000DV, and the unit backs up your favorite partition without further bother.

The button sends a command down the interface cable to open a special version of the Retrospect Backup Express program. Retrospect automatically executes an internal script, backing up a partition (or volume, as Retrospect calls it) that you select during the first run; then it quits. The program is easy to set up and convenient to use on the fly, and it lets you schedule backups, too.

Notice that we said "partition," not "system." As configured, OneTouch is limited to backing up one partition to the 5000DV in its volume copy mode --a straight transfer of files without compressing or otherwise altering them. You can fairly easily create a new script to use Retrospect's backup mode, which will back up multiple partitions or your entire system. But if you do, everything will then be compressed into one large file, and you'll have to use Retrospect to restore the individual partitions, which is a bit of a drag.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cowboy,

It was a Maxtor 80 Gig. drive that I was reading about. So are you saying that if I chose to backup the C: drive (the one my computer boots to) I could do that with the Retrospect software?

You can fairly easily create a new script to use Retrospect's backup mode, which will back up multiple partitions or your entire system. Where did this information come from and do you mean something like a "*.bat" file? I sure don't know any programming language plus I still need to know if it is compatible with XPP's NTFS partitions. I'll look at Maxtor's site maybe that is where you found this info.

Thanks for the information.
    H Lewton

Banned Member
    Thanks

According to Maxtor you can back up your Data from your C: Drive but not your Operating System Files { Boot Files }.Read This Maxtor 80 GB OneTouch Once you get to the page there is a yellow box on the sde with a red arrow in it. Click on that box and it will take you through a tour.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Cowboy,

Thanks, I will check that out.
    H Lewton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

hlewton, I my experience seldom is any software as 'easy' as the manufacturer says. If you want to use an external HD do you have enough room on the internal drive to make a separate partition solely for backups. The use PQDI to backup to the internal HD. After the system boots copy the backup to the external HD. Might be a little cumbersome but it should work.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

I would probably have to get a larger internal hard drive to do that.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I'm reluctant to suggest a different alternative, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Why don't you consider putting an additional hard drive in a removable tray, if you have an available external bay? They're called "mobile racks" and are not at all difficult to install. Once that's done, if you choose to do so, you can buy additional trays to go in the rack so you can alternate the drives you backup to. There are lots of places on the web you can find them and this link is one I grabbed just to show you a pictures. I haven't searched for the best prices.. It's also possible to boot your system without a tray in the rack, if you want to keep the drive "safely" away from the system. Personally, I use more than one and swap 'em out. One caveat: I've never tried the ones that are called "hot swappable" so I have to shutdown when I want to remove a drive.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al,

I
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I guess you DO have to be careful when searching. The word "rack" also has big $$$ implications for mounting network servers, etc. The mobile hard drive racks accept any "standard" size hard drive (usually called 5.25" I guess because of the size of the bay it uses). As long as you're dealing with an IDE hard drive, it's all set. By the way, they do make SCSI models, but that's another story. By the way, this configuration is NOT an external hard drive. It's connected via the standard IDE cable from the motherboard that would usually attach directly to the hard drive. The cable attaches to the back of the rack and the tray has a short stub of a cable which you connect to the hard drive before placing it in the tray. Since it's connected to the motherboard via the IDE connector, when you boot the computer, either in Windows or DOS, the drive in the tray gets assigned a "normal" drive letter. (with the exception of NTFS)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al,

either in Windows or DOS, the drive in the tray gets assigned a "normal" drive letter. (with the exception of NTFS) I hope that exception doesn
    H Lewton

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 26-Mar-03 06:08. )</P>The only thing you have to do to a hard drive is put the jumper on for either master or slave. Choosing which, is your "cabling" decision. MY choice would be to make the two hard drives master on each of your two IDE cables and make your CD and CD burner drives slaves on the second connector of each cable. Let's see if other Loungers feel differently. After you get the four devices jumpered the way you want, connected to IDE and power, that's all there is to it. You should (my opinion again) power up the machine with your Win98 FLOPPY and first run FDISK to prepare the new drive. I NEVER use the disk provided by drive manufacturers, for it usually does something proprietary to the drive that isn't necessary these days. When you're in FDISK, one of the menu choices is to CHANGE DRIVE and you should do that, looking at BOTH drives before you begin. It's just a small verification that your BIOS has recognized both drives. Now when you view the new drive, you create a new partition and that's it. Re-boot and format the new drive.

But the BEGINNING will be the installation of the mobile rack and if you're handy with a Phillips screwdriver, that won't be hard!

Edited to add: I forgot to answer your last question. Yes, Drive Image will store multiple images on a large enough hard drive. That's what I do here. The TOUGH part will be if you want to backup another computer on your LAN! Since you're running DI from DOS, your boot floppy has to be able to "see" the network and that can be quite a trial-and-error challenge. That's how come, at work, we chose to put mobile racks in all our machines so we could run DI on the individual machine, then take out the mobile mounted drive and put it somewhere.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Al,

That's how come, at work, we chose to put mobile racks in all our machines so we could run DI on the individual machine, then take out the mobile mounted drive and put it somewhere.

Thanks, that is what I was thinking. I haven't placed the order yet but I was planning on ordering 2 racks. I'm not too worried about the third machine. It doesn't have much on it.
    H Lewton