Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Video (XPP SP-3)

Can't find a more relevant forum so I'll try this one because the OS is XPP.

A lot of questions today in an all attempt to eliminate my freezing problem with I.E. 6.0 & Outlook 2000. I have tried to shut down all non-essential startup items in
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Video (XPP SP-3)

While I don't think that the nVidia program is causing your problems with Outlook (and Outlook is known to crash. You should see (if you haven't already) the problems the new beta Outlook is causing. looks like a good ol' small town stock car race. Crashes everywhere!!!), you might want to check in add/remove programs. Are there any nVidia programs installed that may be firing up nwiz? I have it successfully disabled, but seem to remember some other junk nVidia installed as well. I don't think you need any of it, unless you are overclocking your video card, or running dual monitors, or some such.

kip

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Kip,

Thanks but I don't see anything but an entry for the video driver in "Add or Remove Programs."
    H Lewton

Banned Member
    Thanks

Are you getting any error messages? And if so what are they.

Thanks

Hi hlewton,
    If you have a NVidia video card as I do, The nwiz.exe file is part of the Nview desktop manager that comes with the latest Nvidia drivers. It should be located in C:Nvidia/winxp/40.72 folder (if you have the latest drivers) You should also have an icon in the control panel to access this Nview Desktop Manager. Within this "manager", you should be able to disable this wizard if you wish. I DO use it without any problems, to adjust some of the color management items (many) that Nvidia has to offer.
    If you don't want ot use this you can uninstall it and accept all the default settings, I guess. I don't think it is the cause of the freeze ups you describe?

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Cowboy,

The only error messages I get are the dialog boxes that want you to forward the error message to Microsoft. They are very long. I can read them but not understand them. I haven't yet found a way to copy them so I could share the info.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,

I have the latest drivers ver. 41.09 but the only location I can find nwiz.exe is in the C:WindowsSystem32 folder. There is a "nwiz.ex_" in the nVidia directory but that is all I can find. I'm not familiar with the Nview Desktop Manager because I have never used it.

Thanks.
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK so I think the reason you can't get rid of it lies with nView. Go to Control Panel>nView, and uncheck "Enable nView Desktop Manager". Then (with nwiz unchecked in msconfig), reboot, and nwiz should remain unchecked. Like I said, I don't think this'll cure what ails ya, but I know how these things can be annoying.

kip

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

hlewton, I you want a very good reference on configuring a bare bones boot for Windows services look at http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Kip,

It wasn't checked but thanks for the help.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks, I'll check it out. I have been using, I believe it is, Black Viper's WEB site to help me make decisions.

Sorry about that, I didn't even pay attention to the site until after I posted the above line but that is where I go to try to decide what to uncheck in msconfig.

Thanks again
    H Lewton

Thanks

Hi hlewton,
    That nwiz.ex_ is the compressed file for the Desktop Manager. There should also be a setup.exe file in the same folder that will reinstall the latest drivers and enable the Nvidia Desktop Manager with icon in the control panel to set preferences, etc. Give it a shot.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

I just installed the latest drivers yesterday and that desktop manager didn't install. That's OK by me except for the fact that I can't get rid of the "nwiz.exe" in msconfig. I'll try doing what you suggested above but don
    H Lewton

Thanks

Hi hlewton,
    If push comes to shove, I guess that should do it. Did you check for that setup.exe file in the Nvidia folder?
    also check for any mention in your start folders.

Bob
    BOB

Today it is called golf!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Bob,

Did you check for that setup.exe file in the Nvidia folder? also check for any mention in your start folders. Yes
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast