New Lounger
    Thanks

Root cause analysis (MSP 2000 with PCentral and SR-1)

Hi ,

We have been using MS Project 2000 with project central to manage our projects.
    We are using variances of effort , schedule , end and start dates to show the project performance to the stakeholders.

Few commonly asked questions that we face are:
    1)Since most of the task are linked , then delay in one leads to the others also. Now , how do we find out which is the main culprit. i.e. is there a way by which we can say , 50% of the delay is due to task A , 30% due to task B and so on ?

2)Milestones are zero duration tasks. What kind of variance should we use to show the % variance is milestone date. For others we are using the formula;
    % variation= duration variance/baseline duration *100

3)How do we do forecasting ? I mean based on the reports we get , what is the way to suggest the project leaders about the potential bottlenecks(task , resources , dependencies)of their projects ?

Please suggest.
    Thanking in advance ,
    Pran

Thanks

Re: Root cause analysis (MSP 2000 with PCentral and SR-1)

Suggestions to your questions are as follows:

1)Since most of the task are linked , then delay in one leads to the others also. Now , how do we find out which is the main culprit. i.e. is there a way by which we can say , 50% of the delay is due to task A , 30% due to task B and so on ?

<font color=blue>- To find out what is causing the delays, suggest running a critical path analysis. Your Critical Path is going to be the main factors driving the schedule. Any delays (i.e,. Total Float < 0) on the critical path will have adverse effects to you schedule.
    </font color=blue>

2)Milestones are zero duration tasks. What kind of variance should we use to show the % variance is milestone date. For others we are using the formula;
    % variation= duration variance/baseline duration *100

<font color=blue>- As you say, milestones are zero duration tasks. Suggest running a comparison on the Baseline Finish to Planned Finish to see the variance in the dates.</font color=blue>

3)How do we do forecasting ? I mean based on the reports we get , what is the way to suggest the project leaders about the potential bottlenecks(task , resources , dependencies)of their projects ?

<font color=blue>- Forecasting can be done many ways such as upcoming tasks, (i.e, 30 day look ahead) to labor utilization requirements. You should be able to run forecasts using the standard or custom reports in MS Project, however, you will need to base them on your user requirements.
    </font color=blue>

HTH

Post back if you have any other questions.
    Regards,

Gary
    (It's been a while!)