Star Lounger
    Thanks

Task pane toolbar not visible on starting Excel (Excel 2002/SP-2)

When I start Excel, I like to have the Task Pane toolbar visible. Unfortunately, its not visible as the blank workbook that opens by default fills the whole screen. So in order to view the Task Pane toolbar, I have to right click on some toolbar, then select Task Pane (or View | Toolbars | Task Pane). Is there any way to make sure that Task Pane is always visible when I open Excel? Under Tools | Options, I have checked the Startup Task Pane option and also at the bottom of the Task Pane toolbar, I have checked the Show atstartup box but they don't seem to be effective.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Task pane toolbar not visible on starting Excel (Excel 2002/SP-2)

See MSKB article XL2002: Task Pane Disappears When You Start Excel for a description of the cause and the workaround of this problem.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I created the macro in Personal.xls and it works. Thanks for the quick tip.
    Just another question, though: Say I open Excel - the Task Pane is visible - I open a xls file I have listed on the Task Pane - The file opens and the Task Pane disappears - when I close the file, the Task Pane does NOT reappear. Is there any way to make the Task Pane reappear automatically when all xls files have been closed and Excel is still running?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You'd either need a macro that periodically checks whether there are any open workbooks (except for Personal.xls), or an application level event handler, but I don't know enough about that. Perhaps another Lounger will jump in...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

That may be more complicated than I realized. We can ignore it for now.
    If Microsoft monitors these forums, perhaps they can implement that change in the program under Tools | Options (wink, wink). Thanks for your help.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Is it true then, that when an Excel file is open the task pane dissappears by default? I followed all the tips on this, including the registry tweak and using the task pane controller as discussed in this forum. However, while the task pane opens when Excel is opened with a blank worksheet, it will not open when you open Excel by opening a specific file. Is this just the way it is?
    <font face="Comic Sans MS"><big><font color=4682b4>Sherry</font color=4682b4></big></font face=comic>

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You might be able to write an application level event handler, but I haven't tried that, I dislike having too many of those - they seem to make Excel less stable. The behavior you describe doesn't bother me.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Leif on 13-Mar-04 17:16. to update link to http://www.bmsltd.ie/)</P>Download Beth Meldon's TaskPaneController. Find it at the bottom of this page:

http://www.bmsltd.ie/mvp
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association