Star Lounger
    Thanks

MetaData Question

I'm not sure the best place for this question, so please redirect me if this isn't the most appropriate spot.

We are looking into data management systems for archiving images. Nothing fancy or server based, just a simple and inexpensive way to have departments archive information on cds and store/retrieve archived information and locations. At least, this is my understanding.

My real project isn't so much the software as training the staff on how to archive, burn cds, maintain records, etc. In this, my managers would like to see me include information on metadata. The kicker is I know nothing about metadata and am finding it overwhelming looking for information. If you have a suggestion of where I might go to learn/read/research/etc...please send it along.

Thank you.

Thanks

Re: MetaData Question

Metadata means "information about information." In the case of images, that might include: author, date created, description of the image, etc. Of course you want this kind of information, but someone has to decide (1) what to store and (2) who's going to input it.

Metadata also is used to refer to hidden or embedded information (e.g., the comment field in a GIF file or the EXIF data in a digital photograph). I suppose a watermark also could be considered a kind of metadata. Unless someone edits the file with a tool that removes this information, it will just stay in there.

As for tools for image databases that could capture this for you, I don't really have any specific suggestions.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: MetaData Question

Thank you for that introduction, it is much appreciated. I figured metadata had something to do with keeping information/data about a file in a properties-esque field; perhaps something like metatags that allow you to search webpages, as I understand it, for the ones that most fit what you are seeking.

Again, thank you for the introduction.