Star Lounger
    Thanks

Get calendar out of previous PST? (OL2k)

I've diligently rummaged through the messages here about various problems with OSTs and lost Outlook data, and can't seem to find an existing answer, so I'll boldly post.

My company is phasing out of Exchange Server. I converted to Internet Mail Only, which had the amusing side effect of destroying my Outlook *Express* .WAB, but I've recovered that data.

However, back in OS2k, I can't find my personal calendar, with family birthdays, dentist apptmts, etc, which was in a separate .PST file. (I believe "PST" is the correct extension, but if not, correct me. I've been using Extended Reminders, as recommended here, to give me alerts from both Exchange Server and my separate personal calendar.) I also can't find all the appointments, trade shows, etc. that were in the main calendar (on the server), which I thought I'd sync'd for offline use.

Where should I be looking? What didn't "they" tell me before I switched modes? If I switch back to Corporate/Workgroup momentarily, can I get at the data I need and export it, then switch back and import it?

Thanks,
    Dave

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Get calendar out of previous PST? (OL2k)

Calendar data is kept in your core PST (unless you specifically had a separate PST for that folder) and published to the LAN. You should be able to open your corporate PST (File, Open, ..PST) and then import the calendar items. (I don't have second PST, so I can't remember exactly how to do the import.)
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

I lied, I have an archived calendar I can test with. What I did was open my archived Calendar, selected Active Appointment View, Selected all Items (click the first, shift-click the last), and dragged them into my Active calendar. Probably not the only way to accomplish the import.
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi John - thanks for the replies.

As far as I can tell I have only two PST files on my computer, and neither one's calendar contains all the appointments etc that I'm seeking. Any other ideas where they might have gone?

Would it be useful for me to try something like reverting XP to a previous restore point?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

If the data isn't in a PST I don't know where it could be. Reverting to a prior OL version will not help, you need to find where your calendar data is. Did you or your IS folks make backups before they started this conversion?
    UTC -7ąDS

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Was this personal calendar available to you when working off line? If not, then 1) maybe the pst is on a network drive, or 2) the calendar folder was created under your main folders in Exchange - not a pst. The idea behind #2 is that folders you create under your primary folders do not sync for off line use by defalt.

If the calendar was in the ost then I think reverting might be your best bet. (Back up the ost file 1st). OST files are "keyed" to a specific Exchange account and installation of Outlook according to our MS TAM. If you reinstalled outlook you might not be able to open the ost with the new version.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

> If the data isn't in a PST I don't know where it could be.

The answer to this "lost calendar" mystery is that I had unknowingly moved my private calendar onto the server, by dragging the personal calendar's icon onto the main calendar icon. I thought doing so was simply a matter of changing how things appeared on-screen; in fact it moved the data into the server.

For future sufferers<g>: I resolved my need by setting up another profile (Start/Settings/Control Panel/Mail; click the Show Profiles button) and setting that to be the Outlook startup profile. Then, in Outlook, I did Reconfigure Mail Support to change it to Corporate/Workgroup so I could get at the Exchange Server. I selected my calendar and did File/Export to a PST. Then I reverted to the other (Internet Mail Only) profile (Tools/Options/Mail Services/Startup Settings), opened the PST, opened its calendar, Select All, and dragged all the items into my real calendar.

Thanks to all who helped -
    Dave

Why does this have to be so obtuse, for heaven's sake????? (I know, I know, it's because Gates says "Gee, if I'm not allowed to INNOVATE, I don't know WHAT I'll do!")