New Lounger
    Thanks

Web Site Blank? (6.0)

We are running IE5.5 at my firm. I created an IE6 w/ SP1 package using IEAK and pushed it for testing via LanDesk. Worked great in the testing. However, in starting to roll out, we came across a strange problem with one particular model of computer--Compaq EVO--in that when "www.dell.com" is typed in, all that results is a blank page (also had a report for expedia.com). I have cleared the temp files and history and checked all the IE setting (Tools/Internet Options) compared to other models that work fine. What's more is that if you type "http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/default.htm" the EVO will go and show that page just fine. I've looked through KB articles but haven't found much in this area. I'm stumped and wondering if anyone has an idea on this. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 951 Posts

Re: Web Site Blank? (6.0)

Have you checked for a hosts file? Can you ping www.dell.com on the offending machine(s)? Did you check for restricted sites in IE?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Joe. Checked the hosts file and it is fine. Restricted sites is fine (same between all computers). However, when I ping www.dell.com all of the computers (those that hit it and those that get the blank screen) time out. I also did a tracert www.dell.com and that also times out for all computers as well. Any more ideas?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,085 Times in 951 Posts

Well - dell.com times out for me too. Could've sworn that I've pinged it successfully before. are you using a proxy server that could be causing problems?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks

No proxy server here. It is set to Automatically detect settings.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

When you run a ping or tracert to dell, are both types of computers uisng the same numerical IP address?

Is there any sign of an error message on the Status bar?

Can you right-click the page and select "View Source"? If so, do you see anything?

New Lounger
    Thanks

The two computers I am using have different IP addresses

It only says "Done" in the status bar--no error messages.

Yes, I and I saw a basic HTML code. And I think we're onto something here. One of the lines on this page says:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh" CONTENT="0; URL=http://www.dell.com/us/en/gen/default.htm">
    This as you well know is simple redirect. I recalled seeing some setting in IE so I went back and double-checked. In Tools/Internet Options under the Security tab there is a setting called "Allow Meta Refresh." It is on the computer that works. However, the Compaq EVO model that I am comparing doesn't even have it listed here? I think this is it, but the question now becomes, how do I get the setting in there? Ideas? (BTW, I am SUPER gracious and appreciatetive of all that you done so far!)

New Lounger
    Thanks

As an addendum, I think I'm going to go back and look at the package I created in IEAK6. I should be able to find that missed setting in there and set it correctly. I will let you know if this works. Again, thanks so much for all your help!!!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I think you found your answer -- this sounds like a Meta Refresh problem. That should be easy to fix.

The registry that controls this is:

HKEY_USERS.DEFAULTSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionInternet SettingsZones31608: 0x00000000

Where zone "3" is the Internet zone -- assuming the site is in this zone.

I think I confused you about the IP address -- I wanted to know if the the Destination Address was the same -- in an effort to make sure the DNS was working O.K.