3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Access 2000 conversion ? (Access 97)

I'm wondering if anybody has had a problem with this. I have about 75 users of an access 97 db. All of the users machines are upgrading to access 2000 in the near future. Here is the problem. The users will not be upgrading simutanlously to access 2000. A few each day will. The database is comprised of 2 databases. A front end application db which links to a backend db. The front applcation db is on the users hard drive and that db links to the backend db which is located on a shared network drive. Here's my question: What I thought I could do was make a new front end application db in 2000 and distribute it to each user as they receive access 2000. The users with the 97 application db would keep the 97 db on there hard drive until they receive access 2000. My question is: is this ok today. Will a access 2000 front end db work on an access 97 backend? Will there be any conflicts with the 97and 2000 users? If this isn't an answer is there another solultion? Thanks..

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Access 2000 conversion ? (Access 97)

It is possible to have both Access 2000 and Access 97 frontends work with an Access 97 backend, but still, I would try to keep the transition period as short as possible. Performance of an Access 2000 frontend with an Access 97 backend is poor.

Another point. You say that you have 75 users. I assume that only a fraction of those is really active simultaneously - although Access supports 255 simultaneous users in theory, it will grind to a halt long before that. If you often have a large number of simultaneous users, consider moving the backend to SQL Server.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The only things I would add to Hans' recommendations is to be sure that all workstations get at least SR-1a installed. We had some serious corruption issues with a database where the front-end was 2000 and the back-end was Access 97. And Hans is correct - you should be looking at a modest SQL Server installation with that many users. For one thing, if you need to kick out all the users to do a compact and repair, it is a real pain - been there, done that. With SQL Server, in addition to the performance boosts, it will do backups and maintenance without ever taking it down.

A question - is the front-end on the server or deployed to each workstation?
    Wendell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi!

If it helps any, I'm doing that now. I have about 200 users total, luckily no more than 10-15 of them could potentially be using any particular system simultaneously. All of my backends are in 97. I have two separate front ends, one in 97 and the other in 2000 or XP, that is sent out based on who has what.

One note of warning: at one point, I thought we had more people working in XP than 97, so I started developing in XP and then downsizing to 97. Turned out to not only be untrue, but some of the stuff wouldn't convert down to 97 (one issue was the max length of a memo field). It's been a big pain, particularly since we were supposed to be completely converted within 3 months, but now we're nearing a 9-month lag.

HTH,

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the advice. Hans the front end is instaled on each users hard drive. Is that a problem? Is it better to leave it on the server?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

It was Wendell who asked that, but I'll venture to give an answer. It is preferable to give each user his/her own copy of the frontend; a shared frontend is more prone to get corrupted than individual frontends. But I don't think it matters whether the individual frontends are installed on the local hard disk or on a network drive. If they have been installed locally, leave it like that.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hans has answered your question, but let me amplify a bit. There is a small performance advantage in having the front-end on the local hard drive, as forms and reports load more quickly (unless you a GByte LAN). There are lots of reasons to give each user their own copy, especially with Access 2000. Our tutorial on the topic lays out the details.
    Wendell