New Lounger
    Thanks

Remain in Word after closing a file? (2002)

I work on various Word docs at the same time. When I close one, I want to remain in Word to continue working on other open files, but I am always taken to some other program that is running. How do I remain in Word automatically? Many thanks!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remain in Word after closing a file? (2002)

Are you closing the document by clicking the cross at the top right-hand corner? Or are you choosing Exit from the File menu? If you choose File-Exit then that will close all open documents in Word and shut it down. If you choose File-Close or just click on the close window icon (the little cross underneath the one in the top right-hand corner) then Word will stay around as will your other open documents. There is one other wrinkle and that is that Word (I think by default) will display open documents as separate tasks in the taskbar. That means that when you close a Word window, whatever displays next depends on the order of the various windows underneath the window you just closed.
    If you have Word 2002 as indicated then take a look at Tools-Options and click the View tab where you can uncheck the box labelled windows in taskbar. Then when you close a Word document (File-Close), with any sort of luck, Word will retain the focus and you will simply see some other Word document that you have open (or a blank Word screen if you have closed your last remaining open document). Hope that helps.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Remain in Word after closing a file? (2002)

Thanks, Ian! It was the windows-in-taskbar feature that was creating the annoyance. I unclicked it.

I had looked all over to find the cause and fix , then resorted to WOPR Lounge. What a terrific resource! Many thanks to you and Woody, et al.