Star Lounger
    Thanks

Pasting into Word 2000

When pasting Visio charts (several versions) from the clipboard into a Word 2000 document, the right edge of objects on the extreme right of the Visio images do not appear onscreen. However, they do print properly. (This is an issue because we often deliver documents for electronic, rather than hardcopy, consumption.)

Has anyone seen this behavior? I've tried paste, paste special as Vision object, etc.

Do you have a better workaround than mine? (I added borderless rectangles as buffer zones on the right and left edges of the image...the right to avoid the problem, and the left to make it easy to center the pasted image on the page.)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Pasting into Word 2000

Hi Larry,

I've used several methods for pasting Visio drawings in the past. My favourites are to embed the Visio object using Insert|Object, or to save it as, say, a WMF and then Insert|Picture (which tends to be smaller). In both cases, I have seen the problem you describe, although it appears to be worse embedding the object.

Two possible solutions I use:

1 - Try increasing the document zoom. Sometimes its just the resolution that can be displayed that is the problem.

2 - Increase the graphic size as much as possible. The "missing" lines eventually spring back into place (a resolution issue again, I suspect).

If all else fails, I sometimes have to go back to the Visio file and squeeze everything together so that I can have a bigger graphic, alhtough I don't like doing that.

Hope this works for you.

Stuart

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the response, Stuart. It's reassuring to know that I'm not the only one who has seen this happen. And it's interesting that you use a _larger_ image, rather than a smaller one, to avoid the situation. I'll have to give that a try.

drexciya

This is something I've encountered as well.
    I (was?) am a true believer of WYSIWYG, so I haven't
    even tried to look what happens when I print a Word document with such charts, so I don't know the effects on printing.

What I do is not elegant at all, but works good enough for me:
    Insert a table cell in my Word (97) document, with no visible borders.
    In Visio 5/2000 I make a "frame" around the chart/picture/... with ordinary lines, which I make white ("invisible).
    I select the complete chart, with the "frame" around it.
    Paste Special, as figure (=WindowsMetaFile) in Word in the table cell.

This seems to work both in print and on screen.