Thread: Acrobat 5

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Acrobat 5

When selecting the option to print from Adobe Acrobat Writer, the PDF prints to a default folder specified within the program itself.

What I would like is to change the default destination to a destination of my own, ie

L:MMPDF

Does anyone know how to achieve this setting.
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Acrobat 5

Try looking in the pdf printer settings. You may find the port is actually the Folder and File to be printed to. If so you should be able to change it from there.

Peter

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply Peter but that didn't work.

Perhaps I have to Install Acrobat on the server L:drive and share the printer from there, but will the screen preview be on my machine or on the server.

Can anyone ellaborate on this.
    Thanks

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I run Acrobat 5 on three computers - 2 with Win98 and one with WinXP Home. They were installed from two different disks, but all three of them print by default to the Desktop. The two disks also, for whatever reason, title documents differently (the one at work takes only the first six letters or so from the document title, and won't take any spaces - the one at home takes maybe the first twelve letters and doesn't stop when it comes to a space). Although it gives me a box just like a save dialog, which looks like you could change EITHER the title or the location, the pdf fails if I change either. I don't think any of this information helps you (I also tried the suggestion and couldn't get it to change), but I think it's interesting that different copies of the program seem to have such different defaults.

I keep thinking I need to read a book on this program - but when I sit down to read about software, MS Access and Adobe Photoshop are a lot higher on the list of priorities so far! But if anyone wanted to recommend a really good book on this program - it baffles me in more areas than just the one you mention here.

-cynthia

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

I use Acrobat 5.0.5 on Win 2000 SP3.
    Acrobat always asks me where to write the file, defaulting to the current directory.

Acrobat 4 defaulted to using the directory in the ACrobat installed directory.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the replies on this subject,all.

If I install Acrobat on a designated drive ie L: , will this be suffice for the default directory ?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

On Acrobat 4.05 you can run Distiller and choose File > Preferences to set the flag "Ask for PDF file destination".

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks stuart, What I was hoping for was to set the destination (L:MMPDF)so as not to be prompted, acting as a default folder.

The problem I can foresee is users who are not as computer literate as others, printing to other destinations by mistake.

The default at the moment is C:Program FilesAdobeAcrobat 4.0PDF Output and I can see more files going in here than "my" Designated network folder.