5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

checkmark in IF stmt (Excel 97)

I have read various articles on getting checkmarks in cells. I have a list of issued checks. I have a list of cleared checks. I have an IF formula in the next column which can determine if the issued check has cleared. If True, I would like a checkmark in the column (currently an x is setup). If False, the IF formula puts the cell reference in the column and the amount gets summed to determine the outstanding checks total. My question: nothing I have read seems to be able to put a checkmark symbol inside the IF statement. Can this be done, or is this not do-able (or too convoluted to do)? This is not a big deal, but enabling a checkmark to be included in IF statements would be useful in many circumstances. TYIA

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: checkmark in IF stmt (Excel 97)

Try ASCII 251, which I don't know how to display in the Lounge, entered through Numpad ALT-251.
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Format the column with Marlett font. Then add an "a" in you if statement. This will produce a check mark.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I discovered I can use the CHAR(214) function combined with the Symbol font to dispaly both a check mark where appropriate or the dollar amount. Marlett was good for the checkmark but couldn't display the check amount properly. Thanks for getting the 'ol wheels turning.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You can also use your normal font if it is unicode. Ascii 9633 is a empty box and 9632 is a filled box, unfortunately there is not a checked box. I use the Insert | Symbol menu in Word and copy/paste it into Excel. See also <post#=232293>post 232293</post#>. Not exactly what you want, but maybe it will give you some other thing to think about. HTH --Sam
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">Sam Barrett, CACI </font face=comic>
    <small>And the things that you have heard... commit these to faithful men who will be able to teach others also. 2 Timothy 2:2</small>