Thanks

Q about Smart Tags (Word 2002)

Today I received an e-mail message from Microsoft about an upcoming MSDN shipment. Bing! Security notice: ActiveX controls disabled.

I was curious why Microsoft, of all people, would send me a message invoking an ActiveX object, when their own best practices are to prevent them from running in their own mail clients.

Turns out the message was generated out of Word 2002. If you're not interested in technical stuff, skip past this indented part.

<UL>The ActiveX control is invoked as follows:

< ! - - [if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object>
    <style>
    st1:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) }
    </style>
    <![endif] - - >

(I added s p a c e s in the comment tags so they wouldn't vanish from this post.)

That clsid corresponds to "Ietag.Factory" - Smart Tags.[/list]In the body of the message it appears that the user has embedded three instances of the "stock ticker" smart tag (in HTML generated by Word, it's <st1:stockticker>) and one instance of a geographic smart tag (<st1lace>) with various text. Upon closer examination, the <st1:stockticker> tags are associated with the capitalized term NET, and <st1lace> is associated with the term North America. This makes me question whether the tags were inserted voluntarily, because why would a user writing to the MSDN list "tag" NET as a stock symbol when they know perfectly well what .NET is?

Is this what Word 2002 does? It just tags whatever it feels like? Is this so hard to turn off that even users at Microsoft leave it enabled? What do you do?

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Q about Smart Tags (Word 2002)

Jefferson,

Have been a 2002 user for all of about a week, and also was fascinated by these critters showing up unexpectedly, and not always with appropriate associations - for example "B.A." (reference to a college degree), engenders two smart tags, which interpret the B and A as financial symbols!

It looks like the application of smart tags can be controlled by going to Tools > AutoCorrect Options > Smart Tag tab - easy enough to do, no reason though to assume that 'cause a document is generated by MS, that it follows best Word practices - I once received a Word document from an MS marketing person, that misused Word in ways I didn't 'til then know were possible.

Gary
    Attached Images Attached Images