Star Lounger
    Thanks

Suddenly can't send (6.0)

BOY! What IS it with me and this danged system this week??

Last night (midnight) everything was fine. Today, I've been completely unable to send, from any mail account, using OE.

Yet, I can send (from the same accounts, with the same server names) from Outlook. Only OE has the problem.

Rebooting hasn't helped. What could possibly be wrong??

The message I get is:
    The connection to the server has failed. Account: [xxx], Server: 'mail.attbi.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10060, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

Argggggggggggggg...

Thanks

Re: Suddenly can't send (6.0)

Hi, deBronkart ~

There may be a couple of reasons and few things you can do:<UL><LI>Check your mail first before sending. Many SMTP servers require you to check your mail to allow a temporary session for sending to avoid an open relay for spammers<LI>If the box for 'SMTP Authentication' is checked, uncheck it. If not,clear it<LI>For other solutions, please check one of these[/list]

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Bruce. I don't BELIEVE this! But it was an instant fix:

The cause of the problem was Norton Antivirus!

Late last night I had turned off its "scan outgoing mail" feature. I just turned it back on, and the problem went away.

The links you offered didn't directly give me the answer, but they got me thinking. I went to support.microsoft.com and entered the 0x800CCC0E error number, and one of the articles mentioned (in a footnote) that antivirus software can lead to this error. But I never would have expected the problem to start when I DISABLED an antivirus feature!

But that was it ... I turned "scan outgoing mail" back on, and poof, my outbox emptied.

Thanks for your reply -
    Dave

p.s. For future reference, where is "the box for SMTP authentication" that you mentioned? I couldn't find it.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

p.s:

AND, btw, how weird is THIS: the Norton change only affected Outlook Express, not Outlook. Outlook was still able to connect to the same servers.

If anybody can explain to me the difference between how OE and Outlook make their connections, I'll probably understand. (Outlook is set up for Internet Mail Only, not Corporate/Workgroup.)

Dave

Thanks

'Tools ' > 'Accounts... ' > 'Properties ' button > 'Servers' tab

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Bruce,

> 'Tools ' > 'Accounts... ' > 'Properties ' button > 'Servers' tab

Okay.... on my OE6, the checkbox there says "My server requires authentication," not "SMTP authentication," so I wasn't sure I had the right box.

Thanks again -
    Dave