Thread: Dodgy RAM

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dodgy RAM

Hi guys, i just bought a 256 MB stick of 2700 (333 MHz) DDR RAM for my Gigabyte GA-PE667 Ultra Mobo and i've had nothing but problems ever since i put the RAM in. I keep getting the blue screen of death and then windows XP Pro just reboots the computer. I have tried the RAM in my mates computer (he has an MSI mobo) and it works fine. Is it just my mobo or the ram?

Jambo

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Dodgy RAM

Have you checked your BIOS settings. I have had to make BIOS changes sometimes if I changed Memory. That is if the Memory was a different speed then the one before.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Dodgy RAM

It could be the socket that you're inserting the RAM into. Try it alone, in different slots, and see if you can reproduce the problem. If it works fine solo, it may be incompatible with the other stick(s) that you have. Chances are high that you have two sticks that are throwing stones (so to speak); it's not uncommon for some brands of memory to not play well with other brands.

Also keep in mind Cowboy's suggestion, different speeds will cause problems too. XP is particularly sensitive to RAM configuration, where the 9x versions of Windows would burp and go on (although an instability might pop up somewhere further down the road).

Finally, make sure your mobo can handle the amount of RAM you're installing. If, for instance, you're cramming 1GB into the board and it's only designed to handle up to 512, you are out in deep water with no lifeguards around.
    -Mark