3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Unlock forms (Word 2000/2002)

I have a user who needs to be able to unlock a form and bold or italic certain words in the form field and then lock the form again. How can this be accomplished?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Unlock forms (Word 2000/2002)

Hi Melanie

Since word does automatically clear fields upon relocking the document by menu, you will need to write a short Macro. If you do reprotect the document with a macro, you have the possibility to use the flag NoReset := True with the command Activedocument.Protect.
    Of course writing such a macro will require basic VBA know-how.

Regards,
    hedgehog

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The first problem I encountered was I cannot even select the text to bold it once it is unlocked. I guess I have to figure this out before I can work on the macro you suggested.

Thanks.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have no problems in selecting text in an unprotected form field, set it to bold and reprotect on Word 2000. What is the problem exactly?
    If you do not see the text in a unprotected form field, check Tools/Options/View and ensure, that the show field code option is unticked.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I think I realize what is happening - when she uses the mouse to try and select the text to bold it, it selects the entire block of text. I had her try the shift and arrow keys to select and bold it and it worked fine. She locked form and did not lose any of the text.

thank you

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Melanie, I don't know how many have responded to you so I will go ahead and attach the template I created from someone's macro. I then created a toolbar with the Unprotect and Protect W/O Losing Data buttons. This is a great tool to have available. I add the toolbar to all the templates on my network that are protected.
    Attached Files Attached Files