Star Lounger
    Thanks

Can't restore (XP Home 2002 SP1)

It's my first time using checkpoints and restore points. I created one, tried some things, and want to revert. I tried restoring to the point I created; got the msg that it couldn't be restored. I tried restoring to a checkpoint a few days ago; got the same thing.

What am I doing wrong?

I'm the only user on this machine but I did (after setting the restore point manually today) add another account.

The glory of all this is that in the interim, I've lost the ability to access email.

Thanks

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Can't restore (XP Home 2002 SP1)

"tried some things" what were these things you tried?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Also sometimes you may have to shutdown your Firewall And AV before restoring. Don't ask me why I just know I have had to do it before I could do a system restore. I shut down all Items in the Systems tray now before I do a system restore.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks to everyone who responded. I bet the firewall and antivirus are the problem - at least it makes sense that Norton would do its best to block something like a system restore. (I'd think Windows or Norton or both would have learned to warn us by now!)

Hmm... how can I safely shut off my firewall, given that I'm on a wireless network and the wireless card is built-in so I can't remove it? I suppose I could switch off the access point or my cable modem - is there anything else I can do without disabling everyone else on the network?

Dave

p.s. Leif, none of those KB articles were pertinent, but thanks. DaveA, the "tried a few things" included switching Outlook to Corporate/Workgroup and adding a new user.