Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Freezing Up (XPP SP-1)

Advise Please.

After contacting MS about I.E. 6.0 and Outlook freezing, which is discussed here, we started to do an XPP repair by booting to the CD. This was to put the system back to a state prior to updates and security patches before this freezing up problem started. We were then going to reinstall SP-1 and then go to the Windows Update site for further updates.

My hard drive is partitioned into 4 NTFS partitions but XPP
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Freezing Up (XPP SP-1)

SMBP,

You can't do the repair because those partitions have been damaged beyond repair I have no problem getting to or running things from any of these drives. I can access them over my Linksys network from my Windows 98 machines. Windows Explorer, even from the networked machines, sees all these partitions. Would this be possible if they were damaged beyond repair? Is there something I could have done to prevent Goback from doing this? Is the
    H Lewton

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Two things: Seems like a copy of Partition Magic might be useful! I just checked their web site, and you could download an evaluation copy, which allows you to, ummm, "evaluate" the changes that would be made but doesn't actually implement them. Seems like this might be helpful to you before you went out and bought Partition Magic.

Also, I have had pretty good luck with xp's "Files & Settings Transfer Wizard" It will move all your files and things like Internet favorites, etc to a big image file, which you would then access after you re-install. I did exactly that and it got surprisingly most everything. I had to manually set a couple of things, but it saved a LOT of time from manually resetting everything. Of course you will want to make a backup of everything, too.

One more thing have you looked into any hardware issues for your problem? Any memory problems? Heat? What does the Event Viewer say? If outlook and IE are two of the more memory intensive programs you use, they could be triggering a lockup where other stuff doesn't. Might want to eliminate these as potential causes before you wipe everything clean only to find the same problems. Just a thought (or 2 or 3)

kip

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Kip & SMBP,

Thanks for all the hints and advise. I am going to have to put this on hold for awhile because we are leaving for a skiing vacation on Sunday and these repair suggestions don
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP,

You really got me to thinking about that GoBack and I just had to try something before I left. I couldn
    H Lewton

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Why don't you make sure you uninstalled Roxio Go Back, then go back and try the XP Repair from set-up and see if it works after you lose RGB? Then give Kip's suggestions a try.

I'm not sure why you couldn't run the XP Repair or the so-called "in place upgrade" from the blue set-up screen. I think Go Back sure would be a leading candidate. Your not being able to see your 4 NTFS partitions at the setup repair screen was not abnormal or an indication of any damage--that's the view you have when you go to the repair screen; but not being able to run repair spells some problem--and Go Back is sure a candidate. The easiest way to uninstall Go Back is at Add/Remove if that works--if you are able to boot up to Windows, you can do this.

It's when you can't that the trouble is huge with RGB. Often if you use system restore or some kind of recovery CD or disc, or the recovery console, and you can't boot, you'll continue to get the Go Back screen and you won't be able to boot. This is because when GoBack installs, an entry is made in the MBR. When Go Back is disabled or uninstalled, this MBR entry is removed and you won't have the Go Back screen in your way when you start up. Additional procedures for removing Go Back in case it doesn't show in Add/Remove or remove from there are here in #30, #31, #61. The instructions detailing difficulties that can occur when you try to remove Go Back's MBR entry are enough to make me never use it. If Go Back doesn't remove easily with Add/Remove, any of the other steps to do it can cause us to lose information. Roxio Support also told me they have a Ctrl+Alt+G combo that sometimes works, and sometimes can damage your OS beyond repair--a kind of Roxio Roulette.

SMBP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
    "My hard drive is partitioned into 4 NTFS partitions but XPP

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Hlewton--on your questions:

The facts that you can access those partitions over your network machine, and that you can boot up are compelling reasons why they may not be damaged beyond repair--but the two instances where I have seen Roxio Go Back (both the watered down lite version that is an optional install with Norton System Works and Deluxe) you could not boot to Win XP, you could not run the repair tool you tried to run, and it had the same problem seeing partitions because in those cases they were pretty well shot. I thought about your using Partition Magic last night, and Kip's suggestions make good sense--I'd sure try. You have something strong going for you here--you can boot up and you have a very viable OS--it's just finding how to fix the problem.

If RGB helps someone and they swear by it--more power to them. I keep my distance if I see a box in a store--I'm not sure what it's range in feet might be. Seriously I wouldn't touch it.
    It reconfigures the MBR and alters the boot strap mechanism of Windows XP--and the Roxio people know it--they survive because of their other products, mainly Easy CD DVD Creator 6.0. They have a one shot tool to extricate it from your MBR, and most of the time, it works like the Titanic sailed. I would always use it with the newest patch, but the best way I believe to use it is never and I would uninstall it if I had it on a machine. I really never want to use software that is going to reconfigure a Windows master boot record--to me that's playing with fire.

My Recovery Console reference (used to be called the Command Console--beefed up in Win XP) was not to use repair in the setup blue screen that you were not able to use, but to boot from the CD into the 314058 Recovery Console. Further info on the MRC is 306754 and 310497[/url]. Here is context/explanation for the Recovery Console How to Use the Recovery Console. "MS tech seems to think the culprit was an incompatible version of Partition Magic". Well--if it was PM 7 or 8 I know they were compatible. Powerquest's site would say. For what it's worth, some of the Microsoft Support people have some very strong aversions to Partition Magic, and others embrace using it. Many use it often with no problems in Windows XP.
    I'm not sure whether your Drive Image would include the problems that caused freezing. One way to find out. I'd take a look.

Your being game enough to try fixes will pay off. You may score and you're learning from them.

Try Kip's suggestions--I think it's software and not hardware related with an OS that works but corruption in IE and its component OE. Take a look at your drive image. Eliminate the confusion about Partition Magic by calling the computer guy who used it and finding out what version. Read the Recovery Console explanation (last RC link). Don't give up or take it in yet. Most of those repair people and many so-called "tech support" often take the easy way out too quickly rather than get involved in stretching toward a repair.

SMBP

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

SMBP and Kip,

Got to do the XPP Repair with an MS Technician today. He sent me in a different direction than the first Tech. and we never got to the point of seeing or even trying to look at the partitions before doing the repair. So I don
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Can anyone help with this?

After I ran the XPP repair I can still access the 2 Windows 98 SE machines on my small home network from the XPP machine but I cannot access the XPP machine from the Windows 98 SE machines. I have been on the phone for over 4 hours with MS support and they were unable to resolve this issue.

My network is a small 3-computer network using a Linksys router. Never had this problem even when originally installing the network. Now I can
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I called back to MS and after another 2 hours on the phone it appears that the XPP repair screwed up Norton's System Works 2002. I have totally removed it and am hoping I can at least get the anti-virus portion of it working again with my network as it did before.
    H Lewton

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Any time you do a Repair, any utility is going to be changed. You may even find out that the MS firewall is turned back on.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Hlewton, When your PC 'freezes' do you mean it will not respond to anything? Can you get the task manager running? Sometimes that takes quite a while if a process has taken over the machine. If you can, click on the processes tab and see what is using the cpu.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

No just the application I am using, either I.E. 6.0 or Outlook 2000.
    H Lewton

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I have completely un-installed Norton System Works 2002. Removed traces of it from the Registry. Purchased and installed Norton System Works 2003. As soon as I get the Norton Anti-Virus program installed on the XPP machine I can no longer access it from either of the Windows 98 SE computers. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Thanks.
    H Lewton

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast