Star Lounger
    Thanks

default command? (2000)

I'm creating workbooks that will allow users the ability to troubleshoot, so data will be switched and changed around and about. However, when one is finished screwing up the data, I need excel to go back to how the original data looked. Is there a way excel can perform a default command on the workbook instead of closing without saving then opening the same workbook?

Thanks

Re: default command? (2000)

Why not use a scenario? Save the correct version with the "correct" scenario and they can return to it at any time.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I not really familiar with using a scenario, but this sounds good. How exactly do I create one? Where do I go ?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select the "input" cells, that is, the cells whose value will be changed directly by the user. If this is not a contiguous range, you can use the Ctrl key to select disjoint ranges.
    Then, select Tools/Scenarios...
    Click Add.
    In the first box, type the name for your scenario, for example Original Data.
    In the second box, you can modify the "input" range if necessary.
    In the third box, you can enter a description; this is optional.
    Click OK twice to return to the Scenarios dialog.
    You will see the name you just created. You can add more scenarios now or later, and you can return the input range to the current state at any time by selecting the scenario and clicking the top button. the dialog will not be closed, so you can switch between scenarios quickly.
    (Also, look up "scenario" in the Answer Wizard)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I tried the directions given, however, after selecting the ranges and clicking OK I got the message that scenarios will only take 32 changing cells. The workbooks I'm creating has anywhere from 50 to 75 changing cells. How can I work around this? Is there another command that will allow me to get back to the original data?

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

A stupid workaround is to "save" the original situation in three scenarios of say 25 cells each. Downside is that you have to apply three scenarios to get back.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

gotcha! Thanks.