New Lounger
    Thanks

Split the contents of a cell in Excel into three (Excel 2000 or 97)

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by WebGenii on 27-Mar-03 15:35. Violation of Rule 10)</P>We have a situation where names have been entered into one cell in Excel and we would like to split those into three to make it easier to sort. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to do this? I am aware of the concatenate function and I was thinking maybe there was a process to reverse concatenate. Any assistance you have would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Split the contents of a cell in Excel into three (Excel 2000 or 97)

Is there a pattern that Excel can use to split the names up? Spaces or special characters that have been entered?

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Split the contents of a cell in Excel into three (Excel 2000 or 97)

Make sure that there are enough empty columns to the right of the column of names to hold the maximum number of names that will be split off. Then select the column of names and then select "Text to columns" from the data menu. Click on Delimited, then click on next. Put a check mark next to all of the characters that separate the names. Click on Finish, and the names will be split into separate columns.
    Legare Coleman