Thread: Mouse goes nuts

cheridol1

Mouse goes nuts

Can anyone explain why running windows 2000 pro/office 2000,
    periodically my mouse goes nuts and the screen locks. The only thing I found that would help is to deactivate active desktop..... I'd appreciate feedback!!!!!
    Thanks Cheridol

Thanks

Re: Mouse goes nuts

What kind of mouse do you have?
    How old is it?
    (I assume you've checked it's plugged in properly?)

cheridol1

Dear Leif,
    I am using a new microsoft intellimouse, and I had the same problem using logitech cordless mouse. Mouse works fine, and for no apparent reason, it goes nuts, and the screen starts to disappear where the mouse travels. It causes me to lock up, not even being able to get to task manager, so I have no other choice but to restart with open applications.

Any ideas?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

do you have enough ram and free resources? also, have you deleted the mouse from system devices and reinstalled it? try and reboot immediately, before the computer finds it again.

Thanks

If Mary's suggestion does no good...
    I know W2K is partic. susceptible to losing the mouse with some KVM's and I've discovered our NT4 servers do not like an intellimouse being switched between them.
    I have a nagging suspicion that because the symptoms are so similar there may be a mechanical problem. As it's a new mouse, it's unlikely to be that - so next time it's performing OK, wiggle the mouse connector where it plugs into your pc. If this brings on the problem, it's the connector to the motherboard.
    (I'm assuming it's a PS2 connection....?)
    Otherwise, you could always try your Logitech drivers - I use them with a MS mouse on W2K.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

actually, if under 30 days, i'd suspect problems since most hardware will fail asap. but since it's a continuing problem with several mice, then it's either driver or hardware: mobo/connections/plugs.

how does it work with a basic mouse?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

A) The Active Desktop sucks. Resources that is.

That aside, there are a few possible answers for you.

Download the latest version of Intellipoint if you are using a Microsoft mouse. The Intellipoint software in particular has an option in the Device Manager that you can change - fast initialization - try clearing that checkbox. You'll need to reboot. Also in here is the sampling rate for the mouse, if you are using an optical rodent.

Update your video drivers as they may also be causing the problem with mouse tracking.

I believe Windows 2000 has some issues with mice in general - I sporadically have this problem on both my Win2k Pro workstations and they are completely different as far as hardware is concerned - except for my beloved Intellimouse Explorer.

You can also rachet down the tracking speed using TweakUI or the Mouse software to see if that helps.
    -Mark

Thanks

Still got problems?
    I came across something the other day where the mouse option 'SnapTo' had been selected and was causing aggravation . . .