5 Star Lounger
    Patterson Lakes, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
    Thanks

Replication conflicts (XP SP-1)

Any one have any idea what to do if every member of a replication set (there are only 3) says it has conflicts, yet when you go to view them, the Replication Conflict Viewer says <No conflict tables>? Thus there is no way of fixing the conflict. I wouldn
    Regards,
    Peter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Replication conflicts (XP SP-1)

I will be happy if you get an answer on this one as I am having the same problem-- wondering if I have to reset the whole thing to a regular non replicated database and then make new replicas

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Are you viewing the conflicts from the Replication Manager, the design master, or a replica? I've seen data conflicts that could only be cured by creating new replicas. That was usually when changes were being made to data in local tables in a replicated front end, though.
    Charlotte

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just open the design master, and (as frequently happens) am told there are conflicts, do I want to resolve them.
    Regards,
    Peter

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I went the whole hog and deleted the replicated Dbs and created new ones again. This is pretty quick, but alas it didn
    Regards,
    Peter

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I'll do the same; but making new replicas has also become a problem-- when a new replica is made; the forms do not appear to be in the database; but when you attempt to import them , you get a message that they already exist and after you reply that you do not want to import them-- then they appear in the database BUT they will not open *sigh* -- the only way around is to make a frontend to enter or edit the data. I know I am going to have to "undo" the replication and start over; but have been putting it off.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Hi Ginger,
    We almost always recommend that you split a replicated database into a front-end and a back-end, and only replicate the back-end (with just the tables). You are supposed to be able to replicate front-ends as well, but it seems fraught with problems, and frankly, front-ends don't change all that often, and when they do, it is nearly always quicker to simply replace the front-end than to replicate. The one case where that can be a problem is if you allow users to make design changes in queries or reports, but we usually discourage that. When we do allow it, we typically create a special database with restricted table priviledges so the user can tinker and not accidentally delete a bunch of data. Post back if you have more questions on the replication topic - I'm off to fixed a hosed replica this morning as it turns out.
    Wendell

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As it happens I didn't know to do that, so here I am stuck with all the data needed to run the center in multiple copies of areplicated database that are not working well. Is there ANY other solution to this other than many many make- table queries to get rid of all the replication fields and then start over? If the problem of conflicts showing up and then there being no conflict fields is not likely to be a suggestion of other bigger problems-- I probably can deal with that annoyance; but I was beginning to worry that the whole thing would fail since it has been so strange lately. (If truth be known, I probably SHOULD redo the whole thing since it has been a learning experience and much of the database is not properly named etc-- learning as I went) At this point it is large and complicated and will be a bear to redo.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Unfortunately, the process of un-replicating a database requires that you use the query process. I've never had any luck trying to shortcut the steps - you can find them in the Access 2002 help under the topic "Make a replciated database a regular database." Do you really need to use replication in your situation? If you have a LAN, it shouldn't require replication, as you can simply run the back-end database on a "server" class machine, though it doesn't need to be XP Server or anything like that. How many users do you current have, and are there other potential users in the future?

If you're not entirely comfortable with replication and all the implications of it, you might find our tutorial and some of the references it contains to be useful - we also have one on splitting databases into a front-end and a back-end.
    Wendell