Star Lounger
    Thanks

secured.mdw issues (A2K SR-1)

I have 'inherited' an Access database with standard front-end / back-end topology. Data resides on a network mapped drive, and each client machine has the front end code (linked to ther mapped drive) and a 'secured.mdw' file. On one of the machines, everything seems to work fine. On all other machines, there are logon issues. I went to the machine that works fine, and opened the 'secured.mdw' file to check the users. All is well.

When I go onto the other machines and open their copy of the secured.mdw file, I get "Records can not be read; no read permission on 'MySysObjects" followed by "Records can not be read; no read permission on 'MySysACEs'".

I admit that this is my first go around with Access security, and it is causing me a bit of grief.

Any help or direction anyone can give in this area would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: secured.mdw issues (A2K SR-1)

Some questions that should help to troubleshoot the problem.
    Where is the secured.mdw file located - on the server or on the local workstation hard-drive (we recomment the latter)?
    Is the secured.mdw file actually the user front-end, or is it the security file?
    Are users on the other workstations (that don't work) getting a login prompt?

The error you are getting suggests that you may be pointing to the wrong security file on the workstations. You might also find the Access Security tutorial on our website useful as a starting point to working with security. It contains a number of references to Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on various aspects of security as well. Once you get the hang of it, you'll find it much easier, and quite powerful.
    Wendell

Star Lounger
    Thanks

The secured.mdw is a separate file, and is on the local workstations.

The users get a login prompt, but there is no security info in the mdw that I can see. And when I try to edit the mdw, I get the message previously listed.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

The problem is that you are trying to edit info in the security file directly. To add users or remove users, you do that in a database using the the Tools/Security/User and Group Accounts ... menu. Information in the .MDW file about user names and passwords is encrypted, so you won't be able to see it. In addition, it is not a standard Access/Jet database.
    Wendell