Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Win XP Update (Win XP/SP-1)

For the last several days I've been receiving an automatic update #814033, based on KB Art 814033 - Offered driver may not install, etc. I install it; get a message that it's installed; and then the next day I receive an opportunity to install the automatic update #814033 again. Does anyone know what's going on here? (Other updates have arrived to install since first receiving this one, but they haven't reappeared as updates to install, as #814033 keeps doing.)

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Win XP Update (Win XP/SP-1)

To resolve this issue, delete the registry key that is associated with the update that you installed { 814033 } and then reinstall the update:

Start Registry Editor (Regedit.exe).
    Locate and double-click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows XPSP1

Under the SP1 key, locate and click the registry entry that corresponds to the number of the Microsoft Knowledge Base article (the six-digit number that you noted earlier).

For example, if the Microsoft Knowledge Base article number that you noted was "309521," locate and click the following key in the registry:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftUpdatesWindows XPSP1Q309521

Click Delete on the Edit menu, and then click Yes to confirm.
    Quit Registry Editor, and then restart your computer if you are prompted
    Reinstall the updates you deleted from Windows Update Center

Banned Member
    Thanks

It will look something like this below.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your very clear instructions. However, there are some problems. The file Q814033 was not in the Registry. I'm attaching the files I found by searching My Computer, including the contents of a log file explaining an error. I'm still not sure what to do, so would appreciate more help.

Incidentally, although I thought I had SP1, apparently I have SP2 as that where most of the Q numbers were in the Registry: one under SP1 and a whole bunch under SP2. This is what it says under "About Windows": Version 5.1 (Build xpsp1.020828-1920:Service Pack 1).

Banned Member
    Thanks

Did you check to see if your Cryptograpgic Servise is turned on? Go to Start, Run and type SERVICES.MSC and push OK. A box will come up showing the services you have running. Scroll through those and you will see one called Cryptographic Service. Right click on it and click properties. A box will come up. In the middle of that box you will probably see Disabled or Manual. You need to set it to Automatic push apply and OK. Go out of that and try installing your update again and see what happens. See box below. See in the middle were it says diabled, change that to Automatic.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hmmm. The service was already Started and already set to Automatic. I tried clicking Stop and then Start again and then tried to install the update from the web site. Again it failed. Looking at the installation record, I see that it has failed almost daily since March 20, when the critical update was first downloaded. Any further suggestions?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Yeah a shotgun.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting.... same sort of problem see post 231216. have been busy over past few weeks so haven't had time to address this problem fully. Apart from the good advice from everyone here...which should sort it out.... as you say the thing does not appear in the registry. I've tried to find answer in knowledge base ..even email microsoft support for help (waste of time) but my problem was and still is 810577 & 811630 . then i got a update from microsoft ...have a look at KB article 814033. Did all it said and 814033 installed ok and it is in the registry. But 810577 and 811630 keeps on coming at me and will not install. They are both lurking in cprogramme fileswindows updatewuaudnld.tmp then folder cabs com_microsoft_810577_xpsp2 5935....and com_microsoft.811630_xp_sp1 5915. seems as if they download to a temp folder but wont insall from there to the registry. This could be a challenge for you bright boys out there..any ideas???

Banned Member
    Thanks

Go to Add & Remove and see if you can find those two updates. If they are there, remove them and then reinstall.

Lounger
    Thanks

My problem is solved. I posted a question on one of Microsoft's Discussion Forums and got the attached reply. It worked and now Q814033 is in my Registry. By the way, those other two files that are giving you trouble installed on my machine with no difficulty. On the attachment I also pasted the Resolution part of the Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 326815 for my own use, so it's there for you as well. Hope one of the solutions works for you.

Sarah

Thanks

Hi, eastmans ~

Sorry I missed this thread. I had posted a fix for these critical update problems in <post#=227531>post 227531</post#> and <post#=227749>post 227749</post#>.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

thanks Sarah totally confused now. Surely it cant get this complicated? I'll keep plugging away at various forum/message boards and see if I can get a simple solution befor taking drastic action.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OK so that seems to have worked with those updates. Do you thing deleting the cat2 will solve my problem? from searching the MS forum/message boards etc it seems there are loads of problems like this but so many people post different solutions I dont know what to do as I dont want to mess up completely and do more harm than good. Your thoughts are always appreciated.

Thanks

Hi, Jay ~

I can assure you from personal experience and from the success of others in the Lounge threads to which I directed, you will not mess up completely if you follow the directions properly.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bruce,

I assume that renaming the catroot2 folder to oldcatroot2 accomplishes the same thing as deleting the files in the catroot2 folder. In any case, it allowed the upgrade Q418033 to install to my registry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast