2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Langa Batch File (XP Home)

Hello Helpers
    No disaster has befallen me this time, I am just asking for some advice. I have known about Fred Langa`s cleanup batch file for ages but was too scared to try it. It cropped up again in his latest Newsletter so I went to check it out again. I read all the information and warnings about cleaning up and then tried to find the batch file for novices since I know nothing about DOS. I clicked back and forth for ages and eventually found an XP version,but it is not clear if this is the one for novices or not. Having read all his advice,and done all of the other cleanup jobs, I am still scared of the novice version as he says to read it and make sure it is suitable for your system.How am I supposed to know if this is right for me or not? I would really love to use it as I trust any of his advice, but do you think I maybe better just leave it alone? I have learned a lot from you wonderful people on this Forum and am generally managing fine now. Thank you very much. This however is totally new to me,and from what I have read here DOS is not used so much these days, so I have never tried to use it. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again
    Elaine.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Langa Batch File (XP Home)

I've been a big fan of Fred Langa for a long time, but I cringe every time I think of an inexperienced user running one of his cleanup batch files! Fred's advice of checking his batch file to see if it's OK to run on YOUR system is a daunting task for anyone who knows zero about DOS commands. I'd suggest you start out on a self-instructional path of trying to learn what really needs to be deleted from your hard drive, such as the files in your browser's CACHE and files with a file extension of *.TMP. I don't really know how much experience you have with your computer, but as time goes by you'll gather a buildup of knowledge that will put you in a much safer position of maintaining your computer. Right now, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it. There are all kinds of places on the web, like The Lounge, where you can ask questions as you go.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Langa Batch File (XP Home)

Hi Big Al,
    I totally agree with "If it ain`t broke, don`t try to fix it". I just thought the batch file would do a better cleanup job than doing it manually. As I said, I have learned a lot here, and know which file extensions to search for and delete. Also browser cache etc. You have just confirmed what I suspected.......Leave it alone. I will continue to cleanup in my usual way which includes all you have mentioned along with Fred Langa`s safer advice for those with no DOS experience. Thanks so much for your help. Till next time..........
    Elaine