2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Slide Projection Chooser Software (Powerpoint 2000)

We use Powerpoint to show slides during our church services. I've been looking at some of the 'worship software' that is available and, while admirable, I've decided that all I really need is something that would let me pick a powerpoint slide on one screen and have it project on another. Basically, I would like to have something like the slide sorter view and when I click a slide, that one goes to the projector (2 video card system, Win98). That and 'go to black' would serve 90% of my needs. Being able to have more than one presentation open at at time would take it to 98%. Create/edit (while still projecting a slide) would make 100%.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Re: Slide Projection Chooser Software (Powerpoint 2000)

Well I haven't used PPT on two monitors - so I can't answer you there. However just press the letter: B when giving a presentation - the screen will go black, to return to the presentation, press B again.
    Tip: don't do this if the presentation is the only light source in the room! Use the letter: W instead. This makes the screen White.

Cheers
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slide Projection Chooser Software (Powerpoint 2000)

Hi,

We use Powerpoint on two monitors all the time.
    Using B or W will give you the Black and white screens. If you want to go directly to a slide, and you know it's number, use the numeric keypad and the Enter key. i.e. to jump directly to slide ten, enter 10 and Enter (NB: you need to make sure the Slide show is active on the task bar)
    If you are using two monitors, you can modify a slide show (even the current slide) whilst it is showing. Any changes you make will instantly be visible on screen (great for catching those last minute typos).

If you are looking for something a little more powerful... I suggest you contact Stephen@Datacute.co.nz who has developed a system using Internet Explorer and Access for two screens, that allows us to have all the dynamic features of HTML

Cheers

James

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Slide Projection Chooser Software (Powerpoint

OK, James, you have me stonkered. I vaguely remember that I tried using PPT on 2 monitors and remember nothing but frustration (an admittedly vague but intense memory). Someone at the time commented that PPT 2202 was friendlier to the second screen, I think. Anyhow, could you give me some hints as to how you implement your work on 2 screens? Perhaps I am just missing the obvious.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Paul,

We use Office 2000 on Win 98 with a graphics card that gives us a second monitor. Every time we open a Powerpoint presentation using Powerpoint 2000, the application opens in the primary monitor, which is where we have our taskbar, system tray etc. The second monitor is set to be to the right of the primary monitor, rather than as an image ie [1][2]. When the powepoint files open they are always automatically set to run in the primary monitor. In the "Slide Show" menu under "Set up Show..." a dialog appears with several settings. At the bottom is a drop down list "Show on:" with the names of the various monitors you have installed. We set our presentations to run on our second monitor. So when we run the presentations, they appear on the second monitor, whilst the original file is still showing on the first.

Some pointers though. When you run a show, a new item appears on the task bar. Whilst this item has the focus, your show will run like normal. However, if you click on the file in your primary monitor (which is part of your Powerpoint application interface), then the focus will change from the running presentation to your file. BE WARNED: all animation and processing including sounds, videos etc, will pause and in some cases stop! As soon as you return focus to the running presentation by clicking on the associated button on your task bar, they normally resume. Hence if you have a static display in your presentation, and you quickly want to add or correct a point (or even hide/unhide future slides) then just quickly make the change in your primary monitor, return focus to the running presentation, and the changes will be reflected in the secondary monitor which is displaying the running presentation.
    In fact I use this technique to cue up multiple presentations and switch between them... Really good when you have multiple master backgrounds etc.

I hope that helps

James

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you, James. I will be trying out your techniques.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Well, Having played with PPT 2000 and your instructions, I can only presume that you are a master jongler and an expert in multitasking. It works exactly as you said, most of the time. At times I would lose focus and be unable to regain it without disrupting the projection. OTOH, I disrupt projection in my normal ops also. So, what's the difference? My main problem is mentioned in your first paragraph, though I did not recognize it until later. I often use hyperlinking to and the 'action' menu to call up separate presentations that have separate backgrounds. Unfortunately, those default to the primary display.

Typical Microsoft. A menu pick that should be saveable but is not. Actually, child presentations should be able to choose inheritance but in fact they ignore all inheritance. Nuisance!!

Thanks for your inputs. Maybe PPT 2010 will do what I want. or not.

-----Paul-----