2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Optimizing (XP sr1)

When I try to do an optimization with Norton Systemworks, I get errors about security descriptors and indexes, both of which should be fixed before the defrag. A suggested "scheduled fix" on reboot reveals nothing, but still I get the errors, even in safe mode or after stopping processes wil "EndItAll". Any ideas? Symantec's help site has become steadily convoluted over the last few years.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: Optimizing (XP sr1)

Did you try a Scandisk and then Optimizing?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

The "scheduled fix" offered by Norton is a run of scandisk on reboot. It appears to find nothing, then exits immediately when it finishes. If I type scandisk in the Run box, XP can't find it. Does scandisk go by another name in XP?

Thanks

It's chkdsk.exe, in the system32 folder.

Bob
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks.
    I ran chkdsk, with the /F parameter, but it exits so fast when it finfishes I can't tell if it found/fixed anything. Would it hang around and show me if it did?
    A Google on this gave me several web sites that pushed scandisk as a much better alternative. Yet it didn't come with XP. Should I try it, and is there a specific version for XP?
    Even after the chkdsk, Norton still read out errors in either the indexes or security descriptors.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by bigaldoc on 03-Apr-03 08:15. )</P>You must've run the CHKDSK directly from the Run box. Try opening a CMD window from Run, then do your CHKDSK /F again. It should stay open so you can read the numbers. I've been pretty lucky with XP for about a year (fingers crossed) but I believe if CHKDSK finds any "busted" fragments, it will save them in the root directory with names like FOUND.xxx

Edited to add: I forgot to say that if CHKDSK says you have to run it at restart, I don't remember if that window stays open long enough for you to read everything, so keep your eyes peeled!

Thanks

Chkdsk - run at bootup - usually reports errors as it finds them, then leaves the report on screen for about 5 seconds. From experience, most problems are fixed early on in the process - security descriptors etc, so you usually don't have to wait around too long to see them. The time consuming part is checking the files themselves which can take hours.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Bill--
    I always run chkdsk /r because it is most complete--and I usually just run it as part of Diskeeper because that's quick. It runs "slow enough" so that it you can see it run. If you want to know it ran, you can always go to Event Viewer>Application>View>Find and put Chkdsk in the box. I have found and read at times that if you are having trouble running it, or getting the result you want from it to happen, running Chkdsk /R from the Recovery Console with the same command for whatever reason will work best. This recent KB 187941 gives a good overview of how it works.

SMBP