5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE opens in background (5.5/W98)

I have found that about 80 percent of the time IE opens in the background...i.e.only accesible through CTRL-ALT-DEL. After clicking on a favorite, sometimes either nothing happens, or IE opens only partially. If I press CTRL-ALT-DEL, select "IExplore", click "End Task" about 4 times, sometimes it will go ahead and open, and sometimes it will just not appear anymore in the running programs dialog.

I am on a dual boot system, with 6 or 7 partitions, Windows is in C. Also am running NAV 2003. Any ideas about correcting it, this is about 8 on my "annoying" scale of 1 to 10.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE opens in background (5.5/W98)

Hi Michael:
    I don't have an answer, but you haven't gotten any other responses yet. Logically, it seems to me that IE doesn't launch because either:
    1) something in the installation or executable is corrupt, or
    2) it thinks it's already running (although, it should still open another window).

For the first part, try doing the usual. Delete the TIF & the history; go into DOS & delete Index.dat. Then go into Add/Remove programs, click on IE, & there will be a repair option.

For the second part, go to Start/Run & type msconfig. Look at the startup tab & see what's running. Try to reboot with minimal files loading. If you don't know what something is for, you can look at http://www.azpchelp.com/StartupListA-F.htm.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Michael--
    I'd first try Phil's steps and it sure seems to be running in the background. If they do not fix the situation, then just search the lounge for IE repair and System File Checker because I'd then go to in this order trying to repairing IE at Add/Remove, running SFC, and you can also try the regedits on the repair IE KB. Links are in this recent thread and Post 236328.

SMBP

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Phil and SMPB, I have a suspicion that it is NAV causing the delay, anyhow, I switched to Mozilla a few days ago and it seems to work great.