hsu999

Windows Installer

Can anyone explain what to do? Se the attached file.
    I've tried to intall Office 2000 Standard.
    I've run Regclean and eraser2k.exe and nothing helps.
    /Henrik
    PS. Here is the text in case you not able to read the attachement in swedish: (The headline is Windows Installer) "The correction packade could not be opened. This is not a correct correction package for Windows Installer"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Windows Installer

Are you running Systems Management Server at all? There are some identified issues with it and Office 2k installations, and the business about the "correction package" sounds like a bad dependency hotfix package.
    Charlotte

hsu999

I don't know what Systems Management Server is?
    I'm using a stand-alone-PC witk win98. My trubbles arised when I had to reinstall win98. Almost every program were lost. (The files remained on the harddisc but win98 didn't know. It's the same situation as if you just copy a program onto the harddisc. Impossible to run).
    So there was no officeprogram to uninstall. I've tried meny tricks to have the installation run but nothing works. Everytime the message "The correction package could not be opened. Check if this is a correct correction package for Windows Installer".
    It would be nice to have a solution to the problem.
    /Henrik

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

when you reinstalled win98, did you just reinstall over itself? if so the registry should have remained and all programs should work.. unless the registry is corrupted.

go to windows update site and see if it wants to install the newest installer. shortcut should be on your start menu.

hsu999

I don't remember now what happened when I reinstalled win98, but the meaning was of cource to install over itself. But it didn't seem to have worked.
    It's very strange that it's only office2000 that fails. All other programs can be installed, for ex. Works2000.

I don't think it would help if I delete all office files. I think it's something in the registry that force win to beleave that there is something to be rapared or corrected when you try to install office2000. I wonder what that "something" could be? I should be possible to evaluate what in the registry that is wrong. All teh programs I've run have not helpt to clean from office2000.
    /Henrik

Thanks

I'll second MaryJ's suggestion to download the latest Windows installer. The Office SR-1 update required, I believe, version 1.1, and MS is now up to beta version 1.5. Changes to the package format might be the problem, and if so that would be an easy fix.

Version 1.2 for Windows 98 can be downloaded from this page:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://msdn.microsoft.com/code/sample.asp?url=/msdn-files/027/001/455/msdncompositedoc.xml>http://msdn.microsoft.com/code/sample.asp?...ompositedoc.xml</A>

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

plus i thought there were problems with works and office2000 i can't find a kb and am not sure of the exact problem.

hsu999

The problem is solved. I installed Office97 and then it become possible to install Office2000. I've also "hacked" the register. I deleted all entrys containging something with "Office" within.
    /Henrik

Scott A

Just as an FYI for the future:
    Most likely the Windows Installer Clean Up utility would have solved your problem.
    Check out <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q238/4/13.asp>Q238413 - OFF2000: Windows Installer CleanUp Utility</A> for more info.

hsu999

No, it did not help with Clean up utility! I've tried several times but it did not work. The only thing that did work at last was to install Office 97. I think it was of no use to edit the windows register.
    /Henrik