New Lounger
    Thanks

updates to avoid?

I am reinstalling win98 after a major crash.

Are there any updates that I should not load? I thought Woody covered this in a news letter at one time but I can not find it.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: updates to avoid?

Some of that is going to be answered by how you feel about certain security situations. The rest of the updates would be based on any software or hardware problems you might run into. If your computer runs good with no problems don't use updates that you don't need. If you have nothing on your computer as to security risks, why use them. Use a good Firewall. The computer I use on the internet has nothing that I am worried about security wise so I don't go out of my way to download them. Although I do keep Internet Explorer and Outlook Exspress updated to the newest releases which takes care of some of the security problems automaticly anyway. So basicly when it comes to {security updates } it's all about how safe you feel with or without them and what you have on your machine . The {other updates} are all about software & hardware issues or runnability problems. If you don't have any issues don't worry about those.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

The only update I would stay away from is the one Woody calls "draconian". That is the Outlook Email Security update from several years back -- off the top of my head, I don't remember the number.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi chir,

One of the things you'll want to do is to minimise the amount of updates. for example, if you install the latest version of IE before going to the Windows Update site, you'll only get prompted to install the few relatively small updates that have come out for that, instead of some of the large ones that have been issued for earlier versions. It's also a good idea, disk space permitting, to copy the updates to disk for reinstallation, instead of installing them directly from the Windows Update site. That way you'll have them on hand iff needed later on ...

The 'draconian' Outlook update is an MS Office update, not a Windows update, and does not apply to Outlook Express.

Cheers
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hi macropod,

I am also reinstalling Office 97 (I have a post on that board also). Does this "draconian update" apply to it?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If I remember correctly, the "Draconian Outlook Security Update" applied to Outlook 2000, so it doesn't concern you, I think.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Most definitely applies to Outlook98 -- and I must assume 97 (that horrible program...).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the headsup. In <post#=240032>post 240032</post#> in General Office Solutions, chir wrote
    <hr>I use Outlook Express for mail. I did not load Outlook onto my machine.<hr>
    I had that in mind when I wrote that the "Draconian Outlook Security Update" didn't apply (unless I'm wrong and the update is for Outlook Express too).

New Lounger
    Thanks

Once again I would like to thank everyone for their great responses.

Thanks again.