Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP Pro & networking (XP Pro SR1)

I just purchased a computer with XP Pro. I have a home office network with a LinkSys cable router. I have two W98 computers and one running XP Home. I connected the new computer to the router and ran the network setup wizard. It setup a network connection but does not see the network - nor does the network see it. I remember the trouble I had setting up the XP Home computer and I believe I was told not to run the network disk that the network wizard wants you to make for the other computers. Since my other computers are already on the network, I don't see any reason to run the wizard disk on these computers. Is there?

I don't have any error messages and the network wizard did successfully complete. I rebooted all computers after adding the new computer to the network.

Is there a step-by-step procedure or troubleshooting reference document to help me through this?

Banned Member
    Thanks

Re: XP Pro & networking (XP Pro SR1)

I hope this is not a stupid question but did you click on View Workgroup Computers?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes I tried that. But, speaking of stupid, I did find the problem. I guess I needed to turn off all computers and the LinkSys router and then turn on the router and each computer. In this manner, the router recognized the new computer.
    Thanks.

Banned Member
    Thanks

Very good. I know how you feel though. These computers can be very picky sometimes. I have three computers networked myself.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I too have a home network with a WIN98 SE computer and a laptop running Windows XP Pro. Of course the laptop gets disconnected and reconnect to the MSHOME network fairly often BUT whenever it is reconnect it never recognises that it is on the network UNLESS I reboot the Windows XP Pro computer - a right pain in the butt as I like to hibernate my laptop to speed the restart process. The WIN98SE machine never needs rebooting as it to sees the WIN XP Pro machine everytime once the latter is rebooted.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Trevor, Try disabling the network connection before disconnect. Then re-enable after reconnect. That way XP will not have a problem with a sudden network loss.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

Disabling the network before disconnecting is my standard operating practice - unfortunately enabling again after reconnection does not work for me - only rebooting the XP Pro computer does.

Administrator
    Thanks

Hi Trevor, Have you looked at the power management properties on the network card. Sometimes, you need to not let XP turn it off else it won't wake up later.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Joe,

I've never come across any power management properties for my NIC which is build into my IBM Thinkpad. If I dehibernate, enable the network, the network appears active (the network icon on the taskbar shows its operating at 10Mps - which is expected), its just that the other computers on the network are not recognised by XP Pro.

Administrator
    Thanks

Trevor, Go to the Device Manager. Find the NIC. Right click and select properties. Is there a power management tab? Logging off the network, then disabling the network connection and reversing the steps later has worked well with the notebooks we have at work.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

My current problem is related to learning about XP Pro. I would like to set up my notebook to connect to my home office network and to one of my client's business networks. I have set up 2 users, one that logs on to my home office netwrok and one that logs on to my client's business office network. Returning to my home office, I am able to select Cntl-Alt-Del, select my home office identity and log on. However, when I go to my client's office and restart my computer, it does not give me the same choices of where to log on to - it only shows my home office network. I have to log on that way and then go to System Information and change the computer ID to log on to the client's business network. I am confused why I get only a single logon option when I logg off my home office but get multiple logon options when I log off my client's business network. Obviously I am just learning XP Pro but it is frustrating. The manual Dell provides with the computer is useless.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Joe,

Thanks for the tip, I went to Device Manager, found my NIC (an INTEL® PRO/100 SP Mobile Combo Adapter), checked Properties - no power management tab but I did find under the Advanced Tab a property called "Smart Power Down" which was "Enabled". I've now "Disabled" that and will see if it makes any difference to the way my computer behaves when I next try connecting to my home network. Maybe we're onto something here. I'll keep you posted.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi JimF,

Sounds like you have the same sort of multiple networks access problems that I'm trying to work my way through. Having to reconfigure XP each time you change networks is a right pain in the finger tips - not to mention the need to memorise the right settings for each network. I found Network Switcher from www.networkswitcher.com very helpful in this regard. It allows you to setup various network configurations and select them with a click or two on your Systray.

I've got my network configurations sorted out with this, but XP does not recognise the other 98SE computers on my MSHOME network or allow me access to my work network without a reboot, regardless of how I setup user accounts - I'm still working on this problem, as you can see from other messages in this thread.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I used netwrok switcher successfullt when I had my previous W98 notebook. I installed it on the new XP notebook but have not had success. I successfully set up XP at my client's office netwrok. Then, when I returned home, I installed network switcher after I had logged on to my home office network. I saved the settings from earlier in the day at my client's office then changed the settings for my home office. When I shutdown, I selected the configuration from earlier in the day. The next day, when I returned to my client's office, my computer would not let me log on as anything except as my home office user. I had to log on that way and then go to System and change the network settings. To log on, I had to change to a different user and change the network settinsg. Once successfully logged on to my client's network, I found that net switcher was not automatically loaded (as I was now a different user). When I returned home, XP would allow me to select which user and network to log on as. And I was easily able to log on to my home office network. But when I shutdown and rebooted, XP would only allow me to log on as my home network user. Now I will have to play the game all over again tomorrow when I return to my client's office. Frustrating.

Administrator
    Thanks

JimF, Look at my post earlier about power management. Network cards often have trouble 'waking up' if you let XP power them down in power management. This is often the case with notebooks trying to extend battery life. Try that and post back

Joe
    Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast