Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Title bar???? (Office XP)

I would swear that the workbook TITLE BAR that I'm seeing at the top of the worksheet never used to be there (it isn't in Word). I think I must have inadvertantly changed some setting I cannot find (no reference I can find in Help). In Word the document title is included in the Word program title bar at the top of the screen. I'm pretty sure that's how it used to be on my computer in Excel also.

Question of course is what the devil did I do to cuase this change, and how do I get it back to NO TITLE BAR between the Column Header and the Formula bar? I've searched the OPTIONS to no avail.....but that of course doesn't mean I haven't missed something.

Thank you.....thank you....thank you..........

BH Davis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Title bar???? (Office XP)

Your workbooks probably used to be maximized within Excel, and have now become "restored". You can maximize them again by clicking the maximize button in the title bar - see attached screenshot.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

HansV,

I wish it were that simple, but the maximize button "maximizes", but the title bar is still there. I'm beginning to wonder if I'm nuts and the title bar always was at the top of the worksheet in Excel, unlike in Word.

BH

Thanks

Hi,
    If you double-click on the new title bar, does the workbook window maximize or does it remain as it is?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Double clicking maximizes it if it isn't already, and reduces the window size if it already is maximized.

HOWEVER, when it is maximized, the icon does NOT change to the double window icon.........it remains the full window icon you would press TO maximize the window.........I hope that's clearly stated! Also, when maximized you are able to move the window around, which you should not be able to do. Maybe a reinstall?

BH

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Here's a screen shot.

BH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Reinstalling is rather drastic. Although this is not a startup problem, see if it goes away if you follow the steps in Jan Karel Pieterse's Star Post <!post=Fixing Startup Problems with Excel,186893>Fixing Startup Problems with Excel<!/post>. If not, you can try Help/Detect and Repair.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

OKAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

Using: "C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeExcel.exe" /Safe in the START, RUN window SOLVES THE PROBLEM!!!!

But, I'm not sure where to go from here since I start Excel from a number of places on the computer and I'd have to add the "/safe" switch to all of them. And I'm sure that's only an asperin and not the cure.

Thank you very much for getting me this far!
    BH

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You certainly don't want to add the /safe switch permanently. If you disable all add-ins, Personal.xls etc., does the problem still occur? If not, it is caused by one of those. It should be possible to find the culprit by adding them one by one until the problem crops up again. Otherwise, have you tried the other steps in Jan Karel's post and the links it contains?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I disabled all the Add-ins in from Office Excel setup (Add/Remove programs) and this had no effect. I'm afraid I don't know what you mean by "Personal.xls" though.

Also, I'll reread Jan Karel's post to see if I can pick up something else there.

Thanks again,
    BH Davis

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you have created macros for general use, they have been stored in your personal macro workbook. This is a file named Personal.xls.

As described by Jan Karel Pieterse, Excel has one, potentially two "autostart" folders. All files in these folders will be opened automatically when you start Excel. You always have an XLSTART folder, probably located in your profile. This folder will contain Personal.xls (if it exists). You can set an additional location in Tools/Options..., General tab, Alternate Startup File Location.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Okay, here's what I've done so far and the results. I don't expext you to continue trying to nurse me through this....if you have any other thoughts though they are appreciated.

First, Excel starts as it should with the "/safe" switch.

All items below do not correct the problem though:

1. All add-ins were removed....no improvement
    2. Excel10.xlb was deleted (temporarily) and Excel created a new Excel10.xlb after restarting and making an alteration to the toolbar....no improvement.
    3. Ran the REPAIR program from the Office XP CD.......no improvement.
    4. Found 2 XLSTART folders on the hard drive.........both are empty and there is no "personal.xls" file.
    5. Re. the Jan Karel Pieterse suggestions: I think I've examined all the suggestions and tried what applied (above items) except for the "start up" programs which I'm not sure how to identify.

So, that's it. Sorry to be such an incompetent with this. If I can help you out with woodworking or woodworking machinery question someday I'd be happy to return the favor! That's my area............

Thanks,
    BH Davis
    http://www.curvedmouldings.com

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Using Excel Setup will only remove addins that Excel installs. It will not remove any addins that are installed by other installations. What you need to do is start Excel, then select Addins from the Tools menu. In the resulting dialog box remove the checkmark from all of the checkboxes that are checked (make a list so you know what to recheck later).
    Legare Coleman

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Legare,

Thanks for the suggestion. However, there are none listed under, TOOLS, ADD-INS. It is empty. I should have mentioned that above.

Thanks,
    BH Davis

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Then the next most likely source of the problem is something in your XLStart directory, particularly a file named Book.xlt. What you need to do is find where your XLStart directory is, and move all of the files out of that directory. Don't rename the files, you must move them to a directory that is not a subdirectory of XLStart. If that fixes the problem, then start moving things back one at a time until you find the one causing the problem.
    Legare Coleman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast