2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Registry Backups

Does 2000 have an auto registry backup like 98 had with scanreg?
    I have one rb000.cab file in my sysbckup directory and it is dated about 2 weeks ago. I searched the help files but could not find any references, nor could I in MS Knowledge Base.

Someone has recommended some mods to the registry, but I don't want to try it without a backup. I did export the registry to file but I'm not sure if it is sufficient if I screw up.
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Registry Backups

2000 does not have a facility to back up your registry as 98 does, although it's there in a different guise (see next paragraph). Exporting the key should be sufficient, but without knowing exactly what part of the registry you're modifying, it's hard to give you a definitive answer.

What you may want to try as an assurance is to launch the Backup utility for 2000, and back up the System State. You can restore the System State and find yourself exactly where you were before the change. For Windows 2000 Professional, the System State data is comprised of the registry, COM+ Class Registration database, and boot files. Server versions include additional components based on their role.
    -Mark

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Finanally got around to trying the backup.
    I selected System State, and it offered do do it to a floppy which I thought would be compressed. The program said that it wanted to backup some 1600 files and was going to take 1.5 hours. So I canceled it.

Did I go astray somewhere?
    Also, the system created the one Rb000.cab file. Is it suposed to do this with any regularity? Since I am just trying to get Win2000 going, I have been installing files which I would think would qualify as changes to the registry but there are new RBxxx files.
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

1600 files? I'm thinking that you have a box checked somewhere that it shouldn't be. Personally, I always redirect the backup to a partition on the hard drive since floppies are notoriously unreliable.

Are you sure the system created that RB000.CAB file? The backups created in Windows 2000 should have a different extension, with a name you specify.
    -Mark