2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Old Macros (word 2000)

I'm trying to reuse macros that I used in 98 and had them saved in a Normal.dot. I would like to make them my standard in 2000. If I open the old file the appearance and macros are as I want. I went to Tools>Macros>organizer and copied all the modules to Normal(global). The macros seem to be available if I open a new word window, but the toolbars do not appear as they had.

If I open the the old normal.dot the toolbars are as I want them.

What am I missing?
    Win 8, Firefox 16.0.2, Thunderbird 15.0.2

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Old Macros (word 2000)

Halek,

You're seeing the toolbars when you open the old Normal.dot because the toolbars are associated with that document; you're not seeing them when that document is closed because the old Normal.dot is no longer serving as a global template.

You should be able to transfer the toolbars from the old Normal.dot to the new one using the Organizer, just in the same way you've done to copy the modules - there is a Toolbars tab in the Organizer window.

Gary

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your rapid reply.
    As I dig in deeper when I open the Visual Basic Editor I find that I have 2 listing of "Normal" when I have the old Normal.dot open.
    When I say Toolbars I really mean the customizations that i made to the the ones that appear when Word is opened. I had created a new toolbar on which I stored some special Icons that i made and it is available.

Probably I should step back and ask. What is the best way to get the macros and appearance back the way it was.

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Halek:
    If you've made modifications to Word's standard toolbars, you can't transfer those to a new template; you can only transfer custom ones. For what it's worth, the next time you add buttons to build-in toolbars, keep copies on a custom toolbar. Then you can copy the custom toolbar to a new normal.dot (or other template) & then copy them to your new built-in toolbars.

The only thing you can do now is to recreate the buttons & assign them to your macros. However, if you keep the oldnormal.dot open (after you rename it; DO NOT TRY TO KEEP 2 NORMAL.DOT TEMPLATES), you can open it & copy the old button faces to your new buttons.

Hope this helps,

Thanks

Charles Kenyon had a post, and link to his website, which dealt with moving toolbars between templates. See if you can find it in a search.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I searched for his name and got to his "Templates Menu". The info seems very extensive and complete. Once I can digest all of that, I should have my answers.

Thanks for the lead!