Thread: IIF (2000)

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IIF (2000)

I have a Column that has a value of Acceleration, Evaluation, Initial Review, Developing or Pass. I would like to be able to sort in this order, not alphabetically. I figured the best way is to add a column and indicate the sort order. Acceleration =1, Evaluation = 2, Initial Review = 3, Developing = 4, Pass = 5. Is an IIf statement best, if so, what would logic be, Or should this be some kind of lookup?

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IIF (2000)

There are several approaches, one is to put your list in order as a Table, shown here in Column D, and use =MATCH(,,), like this to get your number to sort on:
    <table border=1><td></td><td align=center>A</td><td align=center>B</td><td align=center>C</td><td align=center>D</td><tr><td align=center>1</td><td>Evaluation</td><td align=right>=MATCH(A1,$D$1:$D$5,0)</td><td align=right>
    -John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

You can create a custom list and use it as the sorting order.

To create the list goto Tools, Options, and select the Custom Lists tab.

There should be an entry for NEW LIST in the 'List' of lists. Click on this and in the List Entries box enter your iterms in the required order, Click on Add and close. See attached screen capture.

To use the custom list whilst sorting, select Options in the sort dialog, and then from the First key sort order dropdown select your list.

Andrew C

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

"You can create a custom list and use it as the sorting order."

<font color=red> [b] You can create a you can create imported custom lists and use it as the sorting order.
    1. Select the range where you have your new list (ordered in the order that your you want)
    2. To create the list goto Tools, Options, and select the Custom Lists tab. Click on