Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Find/Replace Won't stop with selection (Word 2000/SR-3)

I'm wondering if you could check something, as I think I'm having my doubts. When I select a single word, bring up Find/Replace, search for that word & replace it (using Replace all), Word replaces every ocurrence in the document. It's supposed to stop with the selection.

Try this:
    1. Type =rand()<enter>
    2. Selection the first word "brown".
    3. Click Ctrl+H. Brown should be selected in the Find box & the direction should be down.
    4. In the replace box, type e.g. "green" & click replace all.

As far as I remember, Word should only make one replacement, tell you that's it's finished searching the selection, & ask if you want to search the rest of the document. I don't have the problem if I select two words at the same time, but something is screwy here. Does anyone get the same result that I do?
    Thanks,

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Find/Replace Won't stop with selection (Word 2000/SR-3)

I get exactly the same behaviour with Word 2002 SP2. Strange.

StuartR

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Same result in Word 97 and Word 2002. I suspect that "this behavior is by design". Selecting one word and invoking the Find/Replace dialog is a handy way to fill the Find What box without typing. (Note that the Find What box is not modified if you select more than one word and invoke the Find/Replace dialog.) Since you have already selected the word by itself, it wouldn't make much sense to have Find Next restrict itself to the selection, so Find Next continues past the selection. I guess Replace and Replace All continue past the selection for consistency (or because the underlying code is shared).

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by Phil Rabichow on 02-Apr-03 17:31. to add bracketed material)</P>Thanks, Hans [& Stuart, too. Funny, I didn't see your post before when I was replying to Hans & now it comes before Hans' post]. I'll stop trying to "fix" the behavior. I can't believe that in all these years, I've never selected only one single word & then clicked "Replace all" (or even Replace). I suppose there's usually no need for it because it would be easier to just type over the word.

The way this came up is a had a number, say, 00778686, & wanted to add the digits together. I used:
    Using Wildcards
    Find: ?
    Replace all: ^&+

expecting it to put plus signs between my numbers. Imagine my surprise when every single digit & letter from my selection to the end of my document had a + after it. I now notice that Find/Replace starts searching with the next character if your selection is only one set of letters or numbers that end with one or more spaces. In order to limit the Replace all to just the selection, you must either select more than one continuous set of characters (excluding spaces at the end) or start the selection with a space.