Thanks

IE 6.0 in Rebuild (6.0.2800.1106IC)

I am running a Dell OEM copy of Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2221 on an Optiplex GX200 (Pentium III, 866 mhz.). I recently upgraded the IE from 5.x to 6.0. I failed to document the details on the preupgrade version. It looks as though the result is a kluge, with Temporary Internet Files folders in both the Windows Temp folder and their own Temporary Internet Files folder under Windows.

My current version of IE is 6.0.2800.1106IC with SP1; Q810847; and q313829.

I am about to install a larger HDD. I plan to follow the suggestion in:

http://www.aumha.org/a/parts.htm

and set up separate partitons for the OS, programs, cache, data, etc.

I realize that if I use the Win98 Reinstall CD from Dell, I will end up with IE 5.x again. It is probably the case that I can do a 'custom install' and avoid installing IE from the CD. I read that for $5 shipping, MS will send me a CD for IE 6.0 (SP1).

Will I get a cleaner running system if I avoid the upgrade path?

I noticed that, since I did the upgrade, all the icons in the Favorites dropdown are the same 'blue E' icons. It took a few days for the WOPR "alligator" and the Yahoo "Y" to get replaced, but it happened.

Perhaps with the CD I can save some space on my HDD. I don't want to mess with OE or Outlook. Perhaps I can do a custom install and avoid them altogether?

Thanks,

John
    Baumgrenze
    Hier sind wir tief eingewurzelt.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6.0 in Rebuild (6.0.2800.1106IC)

"Will I get a cleaner running system if I avoid the upgrade path?"

- No, you will not. You will have better running system, if you'll perform defragmenting after installation and later on the regular basis.

"Perhaps with the CD I can save some space on my HDD."

- Perhaps. But remember: this way you can save approximately 0.1 % (or one thousands) of free space on your new hard drive. Is it worth the effort?

"Perhaps I can do a custom install and avoid them altogether?"

- It is a very good idea. If you use mail client other than Outlook/Outlook Express, there is no reason to install these programs.
    Using Custom options during the installation, you have full control which components of the program to install.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE 6.0 in Rebuild (6.0.2800.1106IC)

You can reassign the Temporary Internet Files folder back to the original place on the Internet Options box (Settings | Move Folder). Then, you can delete the other Temporary Internet Files (TIF) folder that is not in use.

You Favorite icons disappeared because they were stored in your "TIF" -- and when the new one was created it did not drag the icons with it. Google search for "FavOrg" and that may help you.