Lounger
    Thanks

screensaver lockups

Suddenly, everytime ANY screensaver kicks in (either from time elapsed OR from "test" in explorer), the system locks up tight-- reset is the only possibility. The SS does not appear, and task mgr shows about 30-40% cpu in the sys tray.
    Does anyone know anyway of repairing the screensaver module without reinstalling windows? Or have any other ideas?
    w2k sp3, ie6 sp1, 512MB RAM, plenty of scratch space
    Thanks
    Vinnie

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: screensaver lockups

What video card do you have and what driver version/date?
    You can download Belarc
    Also check your power options in control panel - what are your current settings - HDD = never/standby = never/ hibernate = never?

Lounger
    Thanks

Power setting are never... ALWAYS. [img]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Nvidia Riva TNT2 Model 64, 32MB. I had been using the canned MS driver ("provided by NVidia"). Oddly, the problem subsided yesterday. But I liked your suggestion, so I downloaded the latest from NVidia and installed it. Then the problem returned with a vengence, much worse than before. I reinstalled the old driver, and it got better again. But it still happens occassionally. I'm not at all sure if it's related to the screensaver anymore, either. ARRRRRRGH. It's seeming more random now. I'll swap video cards next. I've got this awful feeling that it's the mobo.

Thanks so much for turning me on the Belarc-- it's a great addition to my toolbox.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

When you go to start | run and type dxdiag - under display tab take tests - any errors?

From control panel - Display | settings | Advanced | Do you have an option to turn deselect "write combining" - if so deselect it.
    From the TNT2 64 tab select 'additional Properties' and on the OpenGL tab
    deselect all and save it as 'off' then apply it

Banned Member
    Thanks

My bet is , that it's not related to the Screensaver at all. The Screensaver just taxes it to much. I bet it's the Video Card is going south on ya. Maybe the card is overheating or something. Or has already got to hot at one time and was damaged. Bet when you change Video Cards your problem goes away. And I don't think it's your Motherboard or Chipset. What version of Direct X do you have?