Star Lounger
    Thanks

Spellchecker in Outlook Express (Windows 98)

Windows 98 OS, the version of Outlook Express that comes with Windows 98.

My mother (who turns 82 in July, BTW, who got her computer when she was 79 "so I can have e-mail like everybody else" and guess who's her first line for tech support) has suddenly encountered what I consider a WEIRD problem with the spell checker in Outlook Express (it was set to spell check automatically before sending). At the risk of incurring Woody's ire, I despise Outlook, all flavors, and use a different mail client, so I'm not sure where or what is causing the problem.

Her computer came installed with Microsoft Works. Didn't work for her, so I completely uninstalled (or at least I thought I did) Works and installed Office 97. Now, nearly four years later, whenever she tries to send out an e-mail, the spell checker insists on using Works - which isn't there, hasn't been for nearly four years. We've got a temporary cure by unchecking the spell check before sending option, but that's not the solution.

Before I go hacking around in the Registry, any suggestions on how to correct this glitch? Since I don't use Outlook myself, I'm a tad ignorant, here.

Thanks!

Jo Byrd

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Spellchecker in Outlook Express (Windows 98)

Thanks, Jay, for the link. I've printed out the instructions, so, with any luck, I will be able to cure my mother's spellchecking problem.

I appreciate you taking the time and effort to respond.

Jo Byrd

Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by DaveA on 03-Apr-03 20:34. )</P>I don't know if this will help or not but you might want to read this: http://www.okinfoweb.com/moe/general/gen_030.htm

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Jay,

Wanted to let you know the article you referred me to did the trick. The culprit turned out to be the language setting. Somehow it'd gotten changed from U.S. English. Changed it, backed up the Registry, went in and deleted every reference to Works that I dared, rebooted, enabled the spellchecker in Outlook Express, and it worked like a charm.

Thank you SO much for your help.

Jo Byrd

Lounger
    Thanks

You are very welcome. I'm just glad that I was able to help.